Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
We mowed in the path, then laid down weedmat and then did the frst layer of 6 inch minus rock. It's about a foot thick. Seems a little overdone to me but the roadbed sure is sturdy. No sinking problems. We are abut 9 feet deep with soil; so unusual for the island and lucky. Thanks for the hint though. Smile Pam

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
It's slow but steady. Half the roadbed is laid. Then we have the surface coat to do. Looks like it will take about twice as long as estimated, but that is just because getting rock delivered is very slow. Hawaiian time.... but it's looking fabulous! Have any of you cruised by to see it yet?

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam,

I really like reading about your adventures. Keep them coming!

I look forward to visiting your place this May.

David D

It's getting more exciting. The whole roadbed base layer is in and about 1/4 of the top layer is in. The driveway is a total of 600 ft long. We have cleared more of the entry area and are getting ready to plant the orchard. I am busy searching nurseries, but it looks like Plant It Hawaii is the one. Will keep you posted as we dig holes for about 30 fruit trees and get them in the ground. Smile

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam,
I always love your post and I live "vicariously" through your post. I always have so many questions about your projects. I'm wondering what a truck load of "rock" cost ? I'm also wondering what a "cinder block" cost ?? they are called "hollow block tiles" also ??
Nate,
Glad you are enjoying; this is only worth cataloging if people let me know they are interested...

Rock is sold by the ton. We got a deal on the base (called six inch minus) at $8.50 a ton (usually 10) and are paying $10 a ton for the smaller surface rock (called two inch minus). So far, for a 600 ft drive we have spent $13,500 and we aren't finished yet. This is a little more than it should be for rock but I have such a deal on labor it evens out. Besides, I have gone deeply into the property with a winding road style driveway that is at minimum 15 to 18 feet wide. It is rather deep i8n rock but N Glenwood is blessed with 9 feet deep soil which makes for sinking if you don't go deep enough with the rock... if the mud oozes up you have a mess with trucks.

Hollow Tile, which in CA we call Cinder Block is't anything I have priced yet. I am holding out for Home Depot to arrive as I know it will lower prices all around. Home Depot is due to open by the end of December if they come in on schedule. We won't begin building until about March so this works for us.

Where are you? On the Big Island? Hilo Side? Email me and let's get you over to see the project. It's a hoot. The rain the last two days has messed up our schedule and it will end up costing me another $800 for the tractor rental but it turns out the farm style tractor I bought won't do the road; had to have tracks. This rental would cost $60,000 to purchase so I have no regrets getting what I got at $18,000 and renting this one for the road. It's not really that bad; always rent by the week, not the day. It just works out a way better price because of delays and stuff.

I have an appointment tomorrow to price out fruit trees at Plant it Hawaii. They only sell wholesale but my new neighbor has a GE license for me to use. gotta love the communal, Aloha spirit I have found.

I have an email from the Kurtistown palm company to go price palms too. Will call them for an appt soon.

All in all it is going well. Everything costs more than we wish it would but we must remember that efficiency and paradise just don't go together. Give yourself plenty of wiggle room and take things one step at a time. It all works out ove rtime. Take a deep breath and enjoy!

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam, I'm enjoying your posts too. I will try to stop by next time I head up the mountain. It is good that you are doing your best on the road. Such things are often taken for granted. Your road work will pay off over the years. Best wishes.

RT

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Hey Pam
Keep it up. I also enjoy reading about your progress. I'm anxious to see my own driveway work. Let us know how your Plant It Hawaii visit goes. - I really liked their website.
Any chance you'll be posting any progress pics? Did you ever get anyone to do your house plans?

Ninole Resident
Hi Pam I still want to get up to see your place it's just hasen't been good timing yet we only have one vehicle for now and I either I am staying in Mt View and Ric heads up to Volcano or we are on a mission to do someting and there is on detouring.Any way we are calling for the finale on the house in Volcano this week. We'll call when we can come by the road is going to great.Juanita

I plan on putting in some "palms" too. I want to line the frontage of the property and down the driveway with them. When you get over to "Plant It" can you price the "birds of paradise" for me ?? I'm going to put those between the palms for that "resort" effect. We have plans now for a horse barn but I think I'm also going to wait for Home Depot to open.