Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
straw bale construction
Are there any straw bale constructed houses in Puna? We are looking into the possibility of straw bale construction instead of steel. Cost seems to be about the same, maybe a bit cheeper but the construction time should be shorter. Does anyone know of an organization dedicated to straw bale construction in Hawaii?

Glenn

Glenn
I don't have the answer, but I do have a question - is straw available on BI? Mayn I ask your reasoning for straw bale construction? Wouldn't the rain level pose a problem?
David

Ninole Resident
David,

I don't know if straw is available in great enough quanity but I would guess it is, think Parker Ranch. Keeping the straw dry is the key. My understanding is if kept dry it will last indefinitely. You put a vapor barrier down so it stays dry and the plaster hardens to keep it dry as well. WE are looking into straw construction for a few different reasons, it's green friendly, it's easy to work with for do it yourselfers, it's cheaper than conventional building, it's fireproof and termite proof, the insulation is R52 to help keep the place cool and you can do some creative work, you aren't constricted to 90degree angles. Plus i'm kind of an alternative guy and I like alternative ideas.

Glenn

It is unlikely that straw or much hay for that fact will be available on the island. Two points: 1) there is a specific type of straw used in straw bale construction - not just any grass, alfalfa or timothy baled up. 2) In farming baling of hay and straw is generally done to put up the crop to carry through the winter months. On the Big Island there is no effect winter and on Parker Ranch and elsewhere there is year round forage in the pastures. I don't think I have ever seen a hay field or baler anywhere on the island. Could be wrong of course.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Glenn

I don't recall ever seeing anything resembling straw, even when riding along some back roads thru the Parker Ranch.
You might want to check out the building materials at http://www.castleblock.com/
I think the products fall pretty much inline with what you stated. I'm planning on being an owner-builder and am seriously looking at the ProTec product.
David

Ninole Resident
Thanks Rob, that pretty much answers my questions on straw bale construction on the big island.

Glenn P