Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Another productive day. Today Hubby and I learned how to drive our tractor! I have to give a big salute to Bacon Universal for their support policies. Clayton in sales came out to the ranch, teachig Bob and I to operate the tractor including PTO, changing out appliances, 2 vs 4 wheel drive, etc.... then he changed the oil for the 50 hour service. All we paid for was the oil and filter. Thanks Clayton.

The vegetable garden is about 30 by 50 feet. It's all ripped and ready to till into rows. Then we will put up posts and then finally the fence. We have wild pigs so ther fence must be dug into the ground to keep them out.

We have also picked up the final blueprints for the new house. Wow, this is exciting. I am busy taking them to the plumber, electrician, lender, builder, cabinet maker.... it's insane. Fun but insane.

The little cabin for the carpenter is looking great. The roof is on and he was doing the roof caps as I left this afternoon. Now for a porch and stairs. It is definitely coming together.

The new trees are looking great except for the Star Apples. They just don't like it here. Hmmmmmm

No other tragedies to confess to this time. Seems I am usually telling you something humorous about what I have messed up but right now it's all feeling fairly good.

Thanks for sharing the adventure. As always, your input is appreciated. Looking forward to reading your comments... Pam

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Today is Saturday. Thankfully it rained last night and continues to rain off and on throughout the day today. This is the first day in weeks I have not spent hauling water for 3 hours a day.
The new ranch hand is working out well; he just keeps on going like the energizer bunny. Good spirits, good work, nice guy.
With hubby gone back to California the dog (Gumbo) is readjusting to me. He loves it out on the land so things are good. He sleeps with me off and on in the night and just generally provides good companionship. He's loving, doesn't like mud, and is housetrained....
The tractor is harder to handle by myself than I had hoped. Driving it is fine but changing out the attachments is tough. Looks like I will need help with that. For today in the rain I decided to take an off day and relax dry. The vegetable garden will wait a week or so. Hubby built me a raised bed for my first squash plants before he left. The pigs knocked it over but it's repairable; just needs a different leg system. The trough portion is awesome; made out of the old wood from the 50 year old redwood water cachment system we tore down. There is a lot of wood from that ... there was a lot more but some seems to have disappeared. I'm still working on what happened to all that wood. Well, no reason to sweat over it. It's being put to good use somewhere. Very rustic indeed.
Provision Technologies is working on a solar bid, I am working on finding an electrician and plumber, HPM is making a roofing bid, the cabinet maker is working on his bid..... let the adventure continue!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam,
I have Kubota 2150 (great tractor!) with a front bucket, a 60” rototiller, a 60” rotary field mower, and a 60” scrapper box. And I know what you mean when about changing out attachments on a tractor. It can be a real pain by your self, if things don’t line up well. What does seem to help me is I have the attachments up off the ground on 6”x6” wood blocks. I don’t have to bend down as far and there is more wiggle room with the 3-point hitch. It is diffidently easier to take the attachments off when you set them on blocks.

David D

Hey, David. Where are you? maybe we3 can do some sharing....

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hello Pam,
I just got back last week from the "Big". I got lots of work done and really got out and explored the area. I had one day to "play" with and I went out to track you down. I turned the "rental" up off of the "Highway" onto to Glenwood and caught a flat tire. I pulled the car over and took it a little too far into the ditch and got it stuck with no level place for the jack. The Cell phone had no reception so calling for help like was like screaming in outer space(useless). I was there for about 4 hours and only two cars had passed me by. a red jeep and a small black pick-up. The black pick-up stopped to help me out and I met these really cool local guys named "Nava"& "Kamanu". I could change the flat, I just needed help out of the ditch. I bought the guys lunch and offered them some cash for the help. Anyways, I had a blast, I just wish we had crossed paths on this trip.
I cleared brush and chain sawed trees till I was blue in the face. I also explored the "cave" and I was amazed at all how far it went.
Nate! I can NOT BELIEVE IT!! The red jeep is ME. I didn't notice you in distress at all but have had a lot on my mind and probably wasn't paying attention. DARN. I can't believe I missed you. I have been wondering what happened because I expected us to hook up..,.. darn darn darn.. I really wanted to see your cave. Okay, so when do you come over next????? So sorry I didn't stop to help... just didn't catch that anyone needed assistance. Glad someone did help though. Ugh..... Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam.
Unfortunately, I’m still in Northern California and I most likely won’t be able to make a permanent move for another 4 more years. Unless I can get a job transfer. There is an opening and I have thrown my name into the hat, but I expect some one local to get the job. I have a phone interview later this week, so we’ll see what happens.

March already. I can hardly believe it. Things are moving along. The new ranch hand Alex is doig a GREAT job. All 40 trees have been cleared under and I am in process of feeding them all. He is clearing area around the entry fence plants and the walking entry and by the end of the week should have the garden begun. Randy the carpenter has his cabin well along the way and is beginning the upper portion of the playhouse/tower for the water cachment system (the one I just wasn't strong enough to do on my own). However I got my Passlode CO2 powered finish nail gun working so I should be able to enclose the playhouse portion on my own.

Found a beautiful new orchid plant growing near the walking entry. There are about a hundred blooms; I have never seen anything like it. These little joys fill my heart and remind me what a wonderful adventure we are on. Smile

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Today it is raining. Yayyyyyyyy... we have all needed relief from the drought. It is a light and steady rain not a drenching downpoour so the plants will be pleased now that the ground under each is prepared to accept the water.

We planted some nice tropicals this morning and then had to clear out of the mud. Nice excuse to come home, take a hot shower and relax for the afternoon.

Plans on the house are moving along. It feels stalled as we wait for bids from subcontractors but really things are going fine. Waiting for the plans to make it through the county anyway.

Many of you have stopped by to see things. It is such a delight to meet you. You have shared ideas and dreams that have enriched my experience. As I walk or drive the trails across the land with each of you, my wonder is reborn at this wild and crazy thing we are doing here in Hawaii. It is hard work but worth every bit of sweat. The vision is becoming clearer.

Mahalo to you all for sharing the adventure!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
We have been saved by glorious rain in Glenwood. The trees are looking happy. The vines are vining. The flowers are flowering. The ferns are ferning. The air is fresh and clean with no signs of vog. LIFE IS GOOD.

I spent several hours on the tractor today ripping the garden ground, hauling out feet and feet of roots from grass. These roots must be 15 years old at least! It was a great exercise though. I learned to operate the tractor bucket pretty well scooping up loads and loads of those roots and hauling them off to a hole. The clutch is like an old porsche, about 25 lbs, so my things and knees are sore. I imagine my neck and back will make themselves heard tonight.

The carpenter Randy got the roof on the playhouse/tower and the gutter so now we will have water in the tank... finally..... as soon as it rains again. Now I finally get to "decorate" it with bamboo fencing for sidewalls. LIFE IS GOOD.

Alex, the new ranch hand, will be back tomorrow and I plan on having hm rototill the garden area. I will go get loads of the free compost available. We'll dig that in, lots of horse manure (that has been curing a few weeks now), Lime for the PH and a generic vegetable food with trace minerals. Once that is all mixed in well, we will be able to form rows and then put in the fence. LIFE IS GOOD.

I have starts for peppers and corn in my little garden grenhouse starter thingis here at the apartment. The squash plants I did two weeks ago are now over 8 inches high and loving it in ther planter box/raised bed hubby made me. However the peas got about 18 inches long and then shriveled up and died. I think I waited too long to transplant them. Will do some new starts next week after the garden is more ready. I can hardly wait to get the garden productive.

It's still a grand adventure. The work feels good. Only problem is that I find myself tied up every day and not doing the things for friends I would like to be doing. It will all flow together soon enough.

Hope you enjoy sharing the adventure. As always, you are each invited to come see what is happening.

Aloha!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"