Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Well, still struggling along with plans and timing. Framing companies are all booked up 3 months in advance. No luck putting together our own team so far but I am still hopeful. if any of you know of or are strong journeyman framers, email me!

Randy is gone. It was messy and we got off track. I am saddened but better now than in the middle of building the house.

Interviewed a couple new framers but no one is matched so far. My gardener Alex took last week off, but he is back now and I am thrilled. He is just so steady and gets so much done. We work well together.

Bacon Universal F I N A L L Y got my post hole digger/auger delivered and came out to help me hook it up and use it the first time. We put in holes for four more trees that I just bought including two plums. Yayyyy.

Alex has been weeding in the veggie garden and it looks wonderful. I will be transplanting Lettuce this weekend while he is away, along with scallions and getting the trees into those holes so he can then clear a 6 foot mulch circle around each tree.

I am designing a built in BBQ for the area behind the cabin. Then as my friends join me we can party as well as work. Again, YAYYYY...

We have decided to put a floor in the bottom of the cabin and enclose that part. it will have bunks for workers to crash in if they want. The cabin is unpermitted and I have no idea what the inspector will require to final the house but we'll take it as it comes. Cabin is a 2 story structure that is actually pretty interesting looking. I thas a good roof, fair upstairs walls and a decent stair case along with an upstairs porch. It needs a lot of work yet but if we can make it a little more usable, so much the better.

Tried to purchase a table saw at Home Depot but they were out of stock on everything but the cheapest (didn't want it) and the most expensive DeWalt (can't afford it); Might get a planer too for making lumber out of the ohia. I am wondering if that wood would be nice for inside walls in the cabin... it sure is pretty.

Always lots of ideas, and now materials are piling up so we need workers again. the local Indian Reservation phoned me and has a guy who needs work. We will see what his skills are. I can probably use him for some handyman stuff for at least a few days or a week. We will see what he can do. If he can lift I can design and have the know how so some things can get done.

So... on to another phase. Still love hearing from you all. Write, call, come by..... Mahalo for your interest and support. Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Sunday May 1...wow... today I answered a freecycling ad and have SCORED some wooden cabinetry for the cabin. It's old but it is real wood so my sander is going to work. THANK YOU to everyone who keeps coming up with stuff for this little place.

Found another local guy who was looking a little hungry so he is doing some work. Not really all that valuable but we gotta give everyone a chance. If all goes well we'll have a woodshed at the end of the day. I am home at mid day to leave him alone and let him work. Besides, I have a craving for etamame for lunch (boiled soy beans). Sounds weird but they are really good. You just boil it up and pop the beans out. They are yummy and healthy!

Got lettuce starts planted yesterday and some scallions too. Have to decide what to plant next. I have some wonderful trees to get into the orchard today so that may sew things up for me.

The sun is shining and I am just enjoying the day so much I can hardly think about work. Still, a little bit of this, and a little bit of that... and it all gets done and it's all good.

The flowers are blooming like crazy. Wild orchids are popping out in the forest areas in the nooks and crannies. The flowers I planted are wonderful. Hibiscus are especially pretty and the heliconia are finally sprouting.

Birds are everywhere. Their song awakened me early this morning. I saw dozens of little birds with bright orange beaks, heard doves calling and cooing, saw some birds in the road too big for phesant but black and white spotted with little red and white head tufts, about the size of small turkeys. I am guessing maybe some kind of pea-hen? Awww, it's all lovely.

I mowed some more yesterday afternoon. It's harder than it looks but I am getting better. A 30 HP Tractor is an adventure!

Okay, one month and Hubby joins me for June. I have tons of jobs lined up for him from sanding and hammering and painting to mulching and trimming and clearing and hauling. I wonder why it is he every comes over here to visit me sometimes... truely I think he looks forward to leaveing his California classroom and just getting outdoors here.

Well, that's where it's at right now. I continue to invite all of you to come see the progress. It's looking great. There are ups and downs but all in all, I wouldn't trade this adventure for anything. My heart remains filled with joy.

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Okay Everyone.... get your glass of wine, your beer, your diet coke or whatever you raise in a glass. TODAY WE LAID OUT THE ACTUAL LOCATION FOR THE HOUSE. They tell me my permit should be here any day now and we are getting ready to break ground.

Bill (Foster of Bill Foster Design, my cousin and contractor)and I hit the property qt 7 am and placed the stakes to mark the corners of the house and the carport... and he left me with tasks to do for groundbreaking. It is feeling really great. I am totally excited.

Alex has the garden nearly weeded and just keeps working steadily with good cheer. Have another couple guys working here and there including a local homeless type. He has NO skills and thinks like a 12 year old when it come to construction of even little projects, but he takes direction very well and is willing to work and sweat for low wages, so his next task will be to peel the 20 ohia posts for the porches. Every day marches on. Hubby will be arriving in June. Last night on the phone he asked "Do you have my jobs all lined up for me? How long is the list?" I think he's actually looking forward to it. I know I am!

In answer to some questions from many of you... let's plan a pot luck BBQ for June 18th at my place. Details to follow. Email pslamont@yahoo.com and put BBQ in the subject line. I will figure out who all wants to do this and get one email out to everyone.

A L O H A..... w h o o p i.... y o w z a....wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Oh dear. I am finally taking the leap to move over there. I bought in Leilani (am regretting it a bit as they don't allow chickens or temp dwellings). Am arriving Monday to purchase an additional piece of land somewhere that is a bit more open in allowing containers and chickens. Any advice?

It's been incredibly helpful seeing these posts of the different journeys you all have taken.

Thank you for sharing your information and experiences.

Beth "gulp" Tate

Beth, feel free to contact me directly and I will share what I know. Too many questions to ask/answer to be really helpful for you.

Pam
pslamont@yahoo.com

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Everyone, be sure to email pslamont@yahoo.com with BBQ in the subject line to join us for a pot luck BBQ June 18th. I will forward info/details closer to the date. Expect something in the afternoon, on N. Glenwood Rd between Mt. View and Volcano off the 11. Smile

Now for the last few days activities....

We got lucky and were able to snag a couple of reclamation projects via freecycle. My gardner Alex is a great sport and will do pretty much whatever we need and a new carpenter Chris is working out really well. From the materials we salvaged we got enough lumber to put a floor in the bottom of the cabin with really old wood and some sheet metal siding and roofing to make a woodshed. The garden is all planted but things are dry so I am watering and hoping.... corn is looking great though and the beans and peas are good so far.

We are still working on the BBQ in between hauling wood and building and gardening... it's just not a priority but it will get done eventually... surely before June 18th!!

Still having a GREAT time. Things are coming together. Signed final papers on the construction loan today so we'll be breaking ground pretty soon. Ahhh, the joys of building.

Mahaly for your enthusiastic support. I look forward to meeting many of you. Smile

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I was asked to log my moving experience on this forum by several people from Konaweb who are interested and who thought this forum was more well suited to the adventure. Apparently it is of interest to many. I am not interested in using this thread for any confrontontational entries. If you have any pertinent observations please feel free to add them.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam
Did you get an owner-builder construction loan? Who did you get the loan with and would you mind sharing some of the details, especially as relates to the application process/requirements and how loan will work?
Mahalo
David

Ninole Resident
hey pam, just wanted to extend some support and appreciation, i am one of those frequent readers seldom posters. we are planning to move to hilo/puna area in late june or early july, we are not planning to embark on the building adventure but i have enjoyed all your postings and appreciate all the info you have cataloged. cant wait to be neighbors! thanks again!
hey frank if your reading: you crack me up! you often come off as an oscar the grouch, but i'd bet your really just a big teddybear waiting for someone to warm your heart, hope all are having a great day!!! see you soon! and hey where are the parents out there? anyone??!!!

David: We got a regular construction loan and have a contractorl it would suck except my cousin is my contractor so we are finding a good balance. I could not find an owner/builder loan out there. My mortgage broker says that there is a farm bureau that you might be able to use if you have ag land but it is difficult. We didn't bother. Wish I could be more help on that one. By the way, even if you do owner builder you should know that you have to have a licensed plumbing contractor and a licensed electrical contractor to pull permits for those portions of your project. They get ya coming and going!!

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"