Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
ever consider Gypsy is yanking chains and pushing buttons here?

Either that, or he's never driven by a school when the kids are dropped off in the morning or picked up in the afternoon. Or at recess.

How could hundreds of children on Mauna Kea, in retrofitted observatory classrooms, with an expanded septic field all across the mountain top to handle bathroom and lunchroom wastewater, lost homework papers and candy wrappers blown in the 50 mph breeze, scattered pens, pencils, and a 5 acre playground built at least a foot above the ground so the kids don't squash the endangered bugs while playing... how could that be an improvement over a handful of scientists and equipment engineers?

But keiki. Aina. Sacred.
"Know what I mean? Say no more...know what I mean?"

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
...as far as the exception of newly planted coffee trees on sacred slopes goes, almost everyone partakes of the ritual cup in the morning, some would even call it a sacred rite. compare the benefits both practical and spiritual for all to the number of galaxy gawkers with frosty fingers fiddling with mechanical controls.
Close one eye, find something to look at in front of you, then look at something behind you at the same time. That is a telescope.

If I met someone with an opening in front of their head, and an opening behind their head with nothing in between, I might call it something else.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
there aren't any anti-science people qualified for science positions?

Despite multiple applications, I've gotten zero feedback from the various telescope operators, who were apparently able to make their decision without even scheduling an interview. My degrees must be from the wrong university, or something.
The positions are highly specialized.

Not all of them; I applied to positions for which I am qualified.

commit to a field which makes them unemployable on the rest of the island

I've already done this.
References? Experience?

Sent those to many prospective employers (not just telescopes). Have since learned that it's far, far easier to enjoy the local tradition of getting paid not to work, so not really complaining about the employment, more about the employers' decision to disregard qualified candidates.
Originally posted by kimo wires
Why aren't the Protectors of the mauna calling for the removal of Hawaii’s “occupiers” at the Pohakuloa Training Area?

I guess the benefit of having several threads on the same topic is that it gives repeated chances for everyone to be brought up to speed. Yes, there have been recurrent protests against PTA which included many of the current protectors on Mauna Kea, for example:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/0...c-defense/

And there are pending lawsuits that PT refered to:
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...violations

These were briefly mentioned in the PBS Insights program previously linked as well.
If I include my years as a student, I've been involved in the field of astronomy for very nearly three decades now, and only this evening I learn what a telescope is. During that time I've been privileged to see and take part in some of the most extraordinary discoveries ever made, but today's revelation tops it all.

"Close one eye, find something to look at in front of you, then look at something behind you at the same time. That is a telescope."

The Dutch spectacle makers that invented the telescope and Galileo are all spinning in their graves right now.
HOTPE,

"How could hundreds of children on Mauna Kea, in retrofitted observatory classrooms, with an expanded septic field all across the mountain top to handle bathroom and lunchroom wastewater, lost homework papers and candy wrappers blown in the 50 mph breeze, scattered pens, pencils, and a 5 acre playground built at least a foot above the ground so the kids don't squash the endangered bugs while playing... how could that be an improvement over a handful of scientists and equipment engineers?"

Even despite your valid points, it's a non-starter. Medical advice to all the observatories, and I believe the tour companies as well, is that children under the age of 16 shouldn't be taken to 14,000 feet. Apparently, their lungs have not finished developing. It'd be fine if they lived up there but not short visits from sea level.

And just from my own experience, the brain doesn't work so well at that altitude. Students and teachers may not perform at their best. It's a preposterous idea from Gypsy and think you suspect what I do; no one is suggesting this idea and it's yet another load of nonsense that does nothing but add to the noise.

Still waiting to hear about the link between deflategate and the TMT.
[...]Maybe it would have been better to ask how many things can a telescope focus on at a time, one.[...]

Objects orbiting Earth, in our Solar System, in our Galaxy and beyond don't need different foci. They are all, in effect, at infinity when it comes to optics. We have taken single images that contain over a million stars in that one single shot. Several telescopes have wide-field capabilities as well and have multi-object spectrometers that measure spectra from hundreds of objects in one observation.

Please. The nonsense you wrote about telescopes is classic PT codswallop. Now you get yourself deeper into your fantasy land by demonstrating you know nothing about optics, telescopes or god know what you want to post about next.

"I also notice you are really not an optics guy. It has been about 3 or 4 times now that you don't have the perception to see when digital photos have been photoshopped."

I know the difference between coma and stars being trailed. You don't.