Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
These repeated stoppages are shattering to any sense of trust. The protesters have amply proven themselves to not be people you can work with. I predict that the authorities will eventually get tough and the protesters will be at fault for just how ugly it gets. To do otherwise would essentially give up being a state. The longer this drags on the worse the final convulsions will be.

ETA "can NOT work with".

ETA again to put it back. Already had a "NOT".
Here is a link to send the Governor a message:

http://governor.hawaii.gov/contact-us/co...-governor/

Maybe if enough people write in and threaten to vote against him, he will grow a pair and do something decisive to end the mess. I asked him if we are state of laws and legal process or a state where a tiny minority can intimidate the entire state government into letting them have their way. You might want to be more polite than that, but he needs to get the message. I tend to be brutally blunt with politicians.
I am glad to see explanation here that different telescopes do different things...they are not interchangeable parts.

But there are many astronomers who respect Mauna Kea's cultural significance...more than the people who litter there and dump junk there...and would not want to see it covered with telescopes, although that would be a boon to science.

Chile, of course, is in the Southern Hemisphere and Mauna Kea is in the Northern Hemisphere so the sites are not interchangeable.

I think the telescopes already on MK should remain there and the new one that has been approved should be built. It would be nice to see something up there to mark the cultural significance of Mauna Kea and perhaps a cultural center could be built near where the visitor's center is? Beyond that, perhaps that should be the end of building if that is the best way to honor the space (without throwing away expensive scientific investments already there which are benefiting all mankind's search for knowledge) ... regarding that, I cannot say, but it should be discussed with full and clear explanations of the science, potential discoveries, and how this kind of knowledge has benefited and will continue to benefit mankind, which includes Hawaiians.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
HOTPE, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough publicity for what you just brought up here. I guess undereducated keiki. are expected to make their way in the world, somehow...

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
The stoppages are very deleterious to Hawai'i's reputation in the educated and the business world...but I am worried the political will is just not there to say an agreement, which now must be honored, took seven years to conclude and Hawai'i receives (insert list) significant benefits as a result. And should be proud of being chosen to host something so important and so wonderful. Wish King Kam could see it.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Beepbeep, thank you for the deep concern for our future here in hawaii. Maybe in the next few months the scientific observatory community could make a few very important discoveries to help with its cause? Maybe find a few new planets( 2002 or 03), or maybe a moon or two that could possibly have ?? if we could somehow fund our way there in our lifetimes?

A historical change and or movement is happening right now at the summit, many are truly feeling an important human Awakening. These very assumptive telescope scientists, engineers, and donors that work for these government funded projects are who has helped make these not yet fully recognized and wonderful discoveries of the human spirit again,jmo.
Let's not fill pages up with wrongs or rights from the past to this point please. Let's instead try and focus on some ideas or proposals for true middle ground and always keep hope. Hawaii does need a lot as most states or countries do, right now unfortunately Hawaii and its people may need a true identity, place, a real recognition in this faster changing world today. Many things have changed quickly in many places across our great nation, Hawaii is no different. Some changes good or bad take lifetimes, sometimes generations to accept. Time, respect, retirements, Patience, inclusion, and sharing may be better practices moving forward, the old ways have shown its failures at the worst of times for business atop maunakea, jmo.
P.S. The great state of California, may have ruined its chances of obtaining such a wonderful tmt project atop one of its peaks decades, or centuries ago. By Man made pollution, light, and driven chase for the trending fads,races, and economic promises. This Has now limited its states future for projects like this, lets try to keep hawaii, hawaii. Not to many places in the world like Hawaii, nothing else in the world like our summit of maunakea before development distractions from what is important, jmo.

Sure hope you start feeling better beepbeep, health is of the utmost importance and never respected enough. My indian grandmother once told me its the human spirit that can act eternal, travel, or continue to discover and learn.

@gypsy69...P.S. The great state of California, may have ruined its chances of obtaining such a wonderful tmt project atop one of its peaks decades, or centuries ago. By Man made pollution, light, and driven chase for the trending fads,races, and economic promises. This Has now limited its states future for projects like this,

so,...good for CA and not for HAWAII???

Maybe we should all install mercury vapor lighting to help the cause - grin
another statement from the Governor's office was released today:

STATEMENT: Governor David Ige will ensure lawful access on Mauna Kea
Posted on Jun 26, 2015

Honolulu – Governor David Ige released the following statement about recent incidents on Mauna Kea.

“We are a patient people in Hawai‘i. We listen to and understand differing points of view, and we respect the many cultures of this land, especially that of the host culture. I have done my very best to follow this process in the case of Mauna Kea and set forth a way forward that I believe is reasonable.

“We expected there to be a protest when construction resumed, and there was. We hoped we would not have to arrest people but were prepared to do so, and we did when they blocked the roadway. We also saw, in what amounts to an act of vandalism, the roadway blocked with rocks and boulders. We deployed to remove the rocks and boulders, but the protesters wisely chose to remove them themselves.

“And then we saw more attempts to control the road. That is not lawful or acceptable to the people of Hawai‘i. So let me be very direct: The roads belong to all the people of Hawai‘i and they will remain open. We will do whatever is necessary to ensure lawful access. We expect there to be more types of challenges, good and bad days, and we are in this for the long run. We value TMT and the contributions of science and technology to our society, and we continue our support of the project’s right to proceed.

“We are currently working to find ways to enable the TMT project to proceed safely without putting workers, protestors and the general public at risk.”

http://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/news...mauna-kea/
i'd say there is a fairly significant shift towards a firmer and less conciliatory tone directed at the protestor's tactics of obstruction. whether the shift is strong enough is, of course, up for debate here.

he did still throw in the obligatory "host culture" reference. but hey, if it helps to placate an obstructing protestor's ego towards reasonability...