Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
Could the TMT officials look into other possible sites

gypsy, another thread just mentioned LeBron James is on the island. He's six foot eight inches tall, probably high enough to put the TMT on top of his head?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wonder if he gets the traditional f-ing Haole greeting like everybody else.

Community begins with Aloha
please define "the Hawaiians"

Good point, especially as they themselves can't seem to reach consensus.

(For purposes of the cloaking device, it would mean "pre-contact residents of the islands", not specific genetics.)
yes, "pre-contact residents of the islands" as a categorization would be a clear and relatively unproblematic criterion for use with the hypothetical time machine ...for when that future time travel technology comes along. however, by that time "pre-contact" could have a whole new meaning.
The proper term being used by the news now is self proclaimed protectors. Sounds the same as poser hipster. These aren't Hawaiians, they are a large group of mixed race locals that are looking for their piece of the pie. They were given a second day of warning yesterday.

DLNR warnings: On Thursday, the self proclaimed protectors of Mauna a Wakea got their second day of notice from Department of Land and Natural Resources officers concerning the emergency rules passed by the land board and signed by Governor David Ige that restrict access within one mile of the Mauna Kea Access Road.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I am such a cave-man with one hard coconut for a brain, so I apologize in advance for the possible feinting tactics here. Could someone please take the time to explain what an EIS report, studies, use or purpose is? Like bamboo does the EIS studies or reports have other varieties or strains(joking) public or private funding differences? I keep hearing conflicting information regarding these EIS studies that were or were not done atop maunakea properly for THIS type of FUNDED TMT project. Both sides mention or interprete these EIS studies differently. The long legal 7 year did everything, included every one, studies and or opinions in the process claim - vs- the rubber stamped or illegally building, developing, and further causing the desecration amongst the local people's claim.

P.S. Sensitivity and respect concerns here as well. The pending courts decisions on important cases involving Hawaiians rights, TMT'S rights, or the use of maunakea's existing resources also seem very complexed and may need settled before the ground breaking of such an enormous project as the TMT'S Jmo. Time is needed for these priorities or understandings to take place as to not have costs( dead presidents) come before the integrity of just doing things the right way. That's of course If We don't want things like the wekiu bug, Hawaiians, or aloha to disappear for ever from these islands.
That's of course If We don't want things like the wekiu bug, Hawaiians, or aloha to disappear for ever from these islands.

No matter how heated the debate becomes, I have never heard anyone suggest that Hawaiians, wekiu bugs, or Aloha disappear. Most people I know who live here would take all reasonable measures to protect the people, living creatures and culture of the islands to be certain they are not lost. What I have heard is the suggestion that a quota or racial standard be instituted to determine whether residents who have lived here all of their lives, veterans and their descendents who fought in World War 2 to protect the Hawaiian people and these islands, should be allowed to stay, or disappear. Or am I mistaken?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
You know, the title of this thread looks ridiculous now. Not a dig at the OP, it was an accurate title at the time, but my understanding is the protesters at the VIS have received their fifth official notice of the regulations from the DLNR.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...mauna-kea/

"On Sunday and again on Monday, DLNR officers gave protectors written notice for a forth and fifth time."

What happens now? "If you don't stop doing what you're doing, watch out, we're warning you, we'll give you another notice."

This is a farce.
Double Secret Probation. It worked for Dean Wormer in Animal House.
HotPE:

"Double Secret Probation. It worked for Dean Wormer in Animal House."

Actually not too well, as I remember. Wink

Cheers,
Kirt

eta, typo