Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

If "we" can't build the TMT, I doubt we'll be able to build the starship to take us off this planet -- just imagine the protests.

Truth. Sadly, we cannot presume that the universe would be a better place with the likes of us crawling all over it. One imagines a mature, peaceful,and sensible race of aliens watching us anxiously and breathing a sigh of relief as they see us flail and bicker.

To squabble over the use of a tiny portion... of a small island... on an obscure planet... when we only have to look up (with the help of a telescope, preferably) to see the infinite realm of destinations and possibilities... pathetic. That the parties involved are descendants of the two most daring races of explorers of the unknown that the world has ever seen...[V]
"That the parties involved are descendants of the two most daring races of explorers of the unknown that the world has ever seen..."

Would be curious to hear some elaboration on this statement. Which two parties and races are we speaking of here?
Polynesians and Western Europeans. We were both ridiculously eager to venture off into the unknown, dangers and practicalities be damned. Naysayers point to profit-motives driving us Haoles, but that ignores the crazy expeditions to the North and South Poles, or for that matter... the moon. No profit potential, just an insatiable desire to explore. I worry that we have lost that, and are worse off for it.
Lodestone, isn't the TMT backed by an assortment of international interests rather than it's supporters being grouped by some definition of common race? The same of anti-TMT protestors. How do we explain the abundance of western European family names amongst the protestors. What of the no doubt large numbers of folks who happen to have a Polynesian ancestral background who support TMT? Does race determine behavior and cognitive disposition?

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate what I think is your intended underlying sentiment, but characterizing the TMT issue through such stark race colored glasses here in 2015 multi-ethnic communities can veer wildly off track from present day reality real quick.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate what I think is your intended underlying sentiment, but characterizing the TMT issue through such stark race colored glasses here in 2015 multi-ethnic communities can veer wildly off track from present day reality real quick.

Just pointing out that both cultures had a common ground: love of exploration. Much is made of how different our ancestors were; but we had a lot in common. No doubt, each departing boat was seen off by naysayers telling them: "It's too dangerous. Why are you going? Shouldn't we just fix the problems we have here?"[Smile]

The greatness of both cultures went hand in hand with their explorations. Once you stop looking up, you can only look down.
Good points to think about. Thanks for the exchange on that, Lodestone.
A pleasure, PM2. Grandpa Lodestone was feeling preachy today.
quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

A pleasure, PM2. Grandpa Lodestone was feeling preachy today.

In MY DAY, we navigated the globe IN A LEAKY ROWBOAT. WITH ONE OAR! UPHILL!. Now, I can't bicycle to the pool without someone telling me I should wear a bicycle helmet. Bah!
"...and if you tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you..." [Wink]
Interesting article posted this evening in the West Hawaii Today site:

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...g-business

I can certainly confirm that funding agencies for the current observatories are nervous because the trust in the state is low. What will be more interesting is to see what legal stuff happens in the future if it turns out organizations followed all the rules, especially those with federal funding, only for the rules to be changed after investing hundreds of millions of dollars.

This could hurt everyone on the island if not the whole state.