Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
If the problem is that your HOA refuses to follow the law, how will more laws change anything?

It will simply create another state agency with more employees and more regulations, which costs more of our tax money to keep in operation. So either pay the road fee increase or pay the state more in taxes? Not much of a choice.
either pay the road fee increase or pay the state more in taxes

You're not actually getting a "choice"; expect to be billed for both.

I'm sorry, but at this point I feel like we need to try anything that might cast some light on how business is conducted here. HOA/HA, whatever. We can sweat the small stuff later. What we need, IMO, is for someone with authority looking over the shoulders of the people taking our $ and (supposedly) conducting the business of Road Maintainance, which isn't getting done.

Wh have a past BOD to thank for the 12,000,000.00$ Bond which WE have to repay. What did most of us get for that $ besides higher Road Fees?

Now, the present BOD wants to impose more fees that have nothing to do with our roads. Whatever the BOD's do, WE pay for! What's next? Where will it end if we can't get some accurate information on Financial and business transactions? Remember, we pay the bills, the Lawyers, the Lawsuits, the Insurance! Can we afford to finance a secretive and free spending BOD?

Those of us who attended yesterday's very "Special BOD Meeting" we're in for a very hostile show. We saw first hand how the BOD treats one another and it wasn't pretty. Those in charge breach no descent. My way or the highway! If they can't even listen and respect each other, how can we expect anything else towards the Membership?
HB1308 does not "create a DCCA agency to monitor HOAs", viz:

SECTION 1. (a) The department of commerce and consumer affairs shall conduct a study on the necessity and feasibility of establishing an agency within the department of commerce and consumer affairs to provide general regulatory oversight of homeowners associations. As part of the study, the department of commerce and consumer affairs shall determine the most effective and cost efficient means to establish an agency

In other words: you will pay for both HOA fees and a study; most likely, neither will actually result in pavement.
Aloha kakaheaka Kalakoa. Pavement is not my goal right now. Honesty, Transparency, Respect for the law and the Membership need to be established before anything good can get done by the BOD around here.

We will end up paying everyone (County, State, Feds, HPPOA) anyway, but I'd really like to stop the bleeding here in HPP (and all the other Subdivisions who are having similar problems)

As you've stated before, it might take all of us getting together to make a difference
someone with authority looking over the shoulders of the people taking our $ and (supposedly) conducting the business of Road Maintainance, which isn't getting done.

I feel exactly the same way every time I buy gas.

it might take all of us getting together to make a difference

That's what we have now! Just look at the togetherness, and all the difference it's making.
"SECTION 1. (a) The department of commerce and consumer affairs shall conduct a study on the necessity and feasibility of establishing an agency within the department of commerce and consumer affairs to provide general regulatory oversight of homeowners associations. As part of the study, the department of commerce and consumer affairs shall determine the most effective and cost efficient means to establish an agency"

Yep, it says "homeowners associations". This is not small stuff. If they don't change the wording during the "study" this new agency will have absolutely no authority over HPPOA, OLCA, HACA, or any of the others that call themselves "community associations" but are really just non-profit corporations under the law.
Yep, it says "homeowners associations".

Irrelevant: it's a "study on the necessity and feasibility of establishing an agency".

call themselves "community associations" but are really just non-profit corporations under the law

...and are therefore governed by the rules and laws which pertain to non-profit corporations.

The "real" HOAs govern multi-million-dollar condos on a golf course. Does anyone really think this "study" is intended to help the vast "agricultural" subdivisions of Puna?
Thanks for clarification, Kalakoa! we taxpayers get to pay for another "study".
Some have posted on this thread that they do not intend to pay their road fees this year.
Understandable.
... have been debating the "mail box assessment" and most likely will even pay this..under protest... if this latest nonsense passes.
Will someone please tell me , WHERE IN OUR BYLAWS, our board has the legal right to represent us with the USPS and bill us for mail boxes? I think they overstepping their rights with this one which could result in a class action law suit. What do the rest of you think?