Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa Farm store on 130 - SUP
Pahoa feed is an AG business. I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to put an AG business on AG land. I'm not sure I understand the thing about no driveways. People who own land along the highway aren't allowed vehicle access to it?
Pahoa feed is an AG business.

Per the transcript, their inventory includes products not considered "ag", which makes them "non-ag" for permitting purposes.

People who own land along the highway aren't allowed vehicle access to it?

Driveways on County/State roads require a permit and must meet "engineering requirements" (which may vary on a case-by-case basis).

It is actually a strong argument and has worked for the past ten years

Yes, it completely supports the "slow growth/no growth" posture...

"Yes, it completely supports the "slow growth/no growth" posture..."

No, it actually supports growth in a manner preferred by the residents of Puna. Village centers, not commercial sprawl. The new Pahoa shopping center is an example of that. Stores & parking in an established village center.

Recognize it for what it is...

Considering we have had two serious lava events in five years I'm a bit surprised the commercial development is happening at all.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Village centers, not commercial sprawl. The new Pahoa shopping center is an example

Side effect being: it's too expensive for small local merchants, who are being priced out of the market. I am not convinced this is unintentional.

Ironic that we're back to "drive to Hilo" despite substantive development in lower Puna.
God forbid Puna ever get a corner store or neighborhood restaurant! You want a cup of coffee, get in your car and drive 5 miles!
People who own land along the highway aren't allowed vehicle access to it?

The Pahoa roundabout has greatly reduced accidents at the Village Road & bypass intersection, as cars are now driving 15 mph rather than 50 mph when they travel through it. Adding another driveway on the bypass, would in effect create another 45-50 mph intersection increasing potential for accidents. That may be another factor considered by the county and state when granting or denying a variance.

Of course the post office road and HAAS road are already there, but are probably grandfathered in.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It may be a matter of the old real estate adage, location, location, location. I can walk to about a dozen local restaurants and shops. That was a choice I made.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I can walk to about a dozen local restaurants and shops.

Bags of feed/fertilizer still require a trip to Hilo. Which is somewhat ironic.

Ultimately it doesn't matter where the lines are drawn, because people will want them to be just a little bit closer or further. Mostly, I have a problem with the way it's managed: the rules are always given as justification for why we must or cannot, but with different interpretations as fit the situation. It's worse than no-rules all-sprawl.

Approving this SUP would basically say that the PCDP doesn't matter.

Denying this SUP is basically saying that small local merchants aren't that important unless they can afford to meet all the new requirements (point being that they can't).

What we need is a "dirt mall" with fee-simple lots for things like Pahoa Feed & Fertilizer -- but we can only create this with a time machine so that it's "grandfathered" today.
"Per the transcript, their inventory includes products not considered "ag", which makes them "non-ag" for permitting purposes."

I realize that dog food, wormer, etc is not "technically" considered AG items, however they are items that most AG operators buy and use on their farm (which is why they sell them). It would be pretty ridiculous for the county to say they can't have their AG business because dogs aren't considered livestock.

Here's their way out: Hawaii considers parrots to be poultry, and some zoos feed their parrots dog food. So dog food is livestock food.

ETA: crazy zoo stuff
pretty ridiculous for the county to say

Exactly my point.

Meanwhile there are jackets being sold in front of Kurtistown park, and all the precious regulations are somehow not being enforced there...