Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19: World events - local impact
Thought it would be interesting to get some Punaweb perspectives how the events playing out currently will end up impacting us here in Hawaii. As we've already seen hints of some major effects, it seems hard to believe that we're going to come out unscathed.

In my crystal ball, it appears that the 2008 financial meltdown is an apt starting point. With China's manufacturing shut down for an extended period, and the supply chains of thousands of companies impacted, it seems a global recession is very likely, tied to a large pull back in the stock market. This will lead to a loss in jobs and wages, which means less tourism (compounded by fears of airplane and cruise ship travel) and a drop in home values (due to excess inventory & weak demand, regardless of the Fed's QE efforts in dropping interest rates), which means severe budget shortfalls in Hawaii.

This would lead to a decrease in government services here (think furlough Fridays and more). The lack of stable income and job opportunities may exacerbate social unrest and lead to an significant uptick in crime coupled with a lack of law enforcement (yes, even less than usual).

The rapid decoupling from China that started with the trade war, and is being extended now, will cause an increase in consumer prices, which will lower consumption even further, and help fuel the recession. Those who've come to depend on Walmart for their cheap goods will be hit hardest.

This isn't even considering the psychological effects that may follow from a break down in the healthcare system and the tens-of-thousands possible deaths in this state alone. Nor does it consider the real possibility of armed conflict (Iran/Israel?) that may result from the geo-political instability (e.g. China is currently engaged in a propaganda campaign to blame the outbreak on the U.S.), which Hawaii's military positioning will play a role in. And all this during an election year!

tl;dr - things are going to get quite bumpy soon, both economically and socially. Think 2008 + 9/11. Other thoughts?
There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

I lived through 9/11 and 2008, so can manage expectations for financial and societal knowns as you’ve outlined. It’s the unknowns that have me concerned, especially the reaction of Hawaii Island residents living on the edge. I don’t expect they’ll start planting taro and yams on a nice flat parcel of land, and sing songs around a campfire after a long day in the field.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Agreed - that is definitely part of the possible social unrest ahead to consider, especially when there is even less money to throw at the situation. Also some strange intersections possible that have been noted before.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...o-want-ki/
My real concern is with our authorities. If the virus becomes established here then I do not trust either the state or county authorities to do anything other than say they plan to do something or ask for more money. We have too many examples of this already. For our island, I am scared the whole thing will be turned over to Civil Defense. For me, that's more worrying than the virus itself.
Yeah - I'm not a proponent of the "FEMA camps" theory, but the idea of CD being in charge of a quarantine situation is the stuff of nightmares. Leilani residents are unlikely to forget or forgive.
I don’t know if China arming Protectors would still be in play at this point in time. China has enough of their own domestic disputes between their own citizens & that may be compounded by the virus. They have their hands full at home.

If money is tight, OHA may want to feed Native Hawaiians who are in real need, not Kingdom protestors, so local support for sovereignty might also be in disarray.

Civil Defense in control of the island, I agree, that’s a frightening prospect. The police can’t be everywhere at once. The County will have a full time job collecting enough taxes to keep the lights on. What in history or fiction is comparable?

The Berlin Blockade? Hungry, cold, but ultimately survivable with outside assistance.
Mad Max? A complete breakdown of law and society. We already have a little of that now with the car thieves who then siphon gas to stay on the move. Just steal another car when necessary, and siphon more gas.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Not talking about China or Mad Max. I simply think if our local Civil Defense takes over then it'll just make things worse than they should be.
China has enough of their own domestic disputes
Fair enough - just reminded by the overlap of themes being discussed. China definitely has its own social upheavals to handle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4nvX6nYyc

local support for sovereignty might also be in disarray
This I highly doubt. The sovereignty movement and its support network is quite resilient and motivated. Probably better positioned to address needs than most official organizations - compare the Hub to the CD shelter for instance.

Mad Max? We already have a little of that now with the car thieves
Funny you should mention this... somebody's apparently getting an early start on the apocalypse.
https://bigislandnow.com/2020/03/07/3-in...s-in-hilo/
PS. It's things like this that concern me.

"State authorities didn’t know which airline the individual flew on, but said the patient did not have symptoms at the time so there was “no risk” while traveling back to Oahu. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted it is possible for spread to occur before symptoms, though that is not the primary mode of transmission."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/0...announces/

Not sure it's even worth mentioning that it is bloody easy to find out which flights the individual was on - just ask the victim in the first case or ask the airlines if the victim won't answer. And then there's the "no risk" statement. Tell that to whoever was sitting next to the victim.
State authorities didn’t know which airline the individual flew on

If only we had some kind of Federal agency in charge of collecting passenger manifests before the flight. They could call it "transportation security", with funding provided by a surcharge on airline tickets.