Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Helicopter Noise Question
When tourism was in full swing, what neighborhoods/communities were the most affected by helicopter noise?
I've heard that Leilani Estates gets the worst of it because of the strange fascination of tourists wanting to see where homes used to be pre-lava, but I was surprised to find that Mountain View residents have their own "stop helicopter noise" website.
Anyway, it got me wondering what areas are the most affected. Does HPP get a lot of it? How about the folks in Waa Waa, do they have much air traffic overhead?
Lower HPP, specifically Kaloli point gets it pretty bad.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(07-14-2020, 09:14 PM)eightfingers2.0 Wrote: Lower HPP, specifically Kaloli point gets it pretty bad.
That's disappointing. Is Kaloli Point a point of interest for the helicopter tours, or do you think that the tours are just following the coastline?
We would get them irregularly over our house in upper Orchidland but when we got them we got fleets of them. There is nothing to see here so obviously it was just a flight path they were using, probably to give other communities a break from the noise. Some of them flew so low I tried a few times to get a pic of their tail number but they were always too blurry to make out. Rarely, they were loud enough to drown out a conversation without raising one's voice. Those were the times I tried to get photos.

I don't think any community between the airport and a steaming vent has been unaffected by helicopter noise. Some have been impacted more than others. I certainly don't miss it.
We used to wave at them from our outdoor shower. I wonder if I'm in anyone's vacation photos!
(07-15-2020, 02:24 AM)TeaTree Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:14 PM)eightfingers2.0 Wrote: Lower HPP, specifically Kaloli point gets it pretty bad.
That's disappointing. Is Kaloli Point a point of interest for the helicopter tours, or do you think that the tours are just following the coastline?

Nothing to see here, it’s the helicopters taking a shortcut over a peninsula.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Thanks everyone. Is anyone here aware of air traffic specifically over Waa Waa subdivision?