Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nissan Leaf Battery Replacement Alternative To Dealer?
While lithium EV batteries are outside the price range of most consumers. If production scales upward, those prices will come down. It was the same with solar panels. They were too expensive when jimmy carter put solar panels on the white house in the 1970s. Manufacturing methods improved, production scaled up, now they're affordable for anyone who wants them.

If the cost of replacing EV batteries today is $10,000. In a span of years that price could decline to $5,000. A few years later it could be lower. Tesla began targeting this goal in 2020 with their new 4680 batteries and plans to create a budget E vehicle priced around $30k.

Lithium batteries and solar panels can also be recycled. While there is no industry for it at the moment. Over time it should naturally develop as the technology becomes more mainstream. These are trends we have already seen in the recycling of plastics and lead acid batteries.
(06-08-2022, 05:05 AM)My 2 cents Wrote: Kia EV6
Bought it at Aloha Kia Hilo.

Did they take your Leaf as a trade-in?

Discussion on another thread sent me here.  HOTPE, I'm still curious about what you did or plan to do with your Leaf.
Kept the Leaf.
It still gets 40 miles on a charge.  Plenty for driving around HPP, Pahoa, Keaau.  Enough for Hilo too, if I plug in for a little while in town to avoid range anxiety.
Cost to run: $0.  Charge from solar panels.
EV6.  1000 miles on it, cost for fuel so far $0.
(For comparison, a truck getting 10 miles per gallon at $5.00/gallon - - $500 for fuel)

Added:
The EV6 has a 10 year, 100,000 mile warrenty on the battery.
If you buy a gas vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon, you drive 12,000 miles a year, and gas prices average $5.00/gal over the next 10 years*, it will cost $30,000 in gas to operate.  Plus the cost of buying the car.  With near zero trade in value in 10 years because no one will want a gas powered vehicle.  

* most likely that price is quite a bit on the low side
Pure comedy.. 10k car, can drive 40 ish miles, causes anxiety. But thats worth the registration and insurance.

But i can charge on solar .. Super cool but please let us know the break down on that as well before you bragging about " 0 " s.

No need to add on pesky environmental devastation and slave labor to make those bats that .. well u know...
So. How do people feel about windmills.

Somehow. I get a feeling. People here hate them.

Hahahahahahaha.
I love them ..So dam cool. Nobody around, they just there and moving.. I know others triggered and others still think they can save us ( never gonna happen ) .. I just like seeing them from a post apocalyptic perspective..that noise ... can be a gif alone

Late Shout out to environmental scientist TomK.. I think u posted uou also got Kia box .. Did you buy the EV version ?? Why or why not.

Late Shout out to environmental scientist TomK.. I think u posted uou also got Kia box .. Did you buy the EV version ?? Why or why not.
I’m aware of the positive aspects of EV ownership.  That is why I’m looking into buying one.  I understand which side of peak oil we are on.  We WILL be getting away from fossil fuels eventually, whether we like it or not.  Not because environment, but because we will run out of the stuff.  But a big part of doing my due diligence is examining the downsides and weighing them against the good.

Positive information is easy to come by.  Negative info requires a bit more effort to uncover.

I seem to be stuck on what happens to EVs at the end of their relatively short battery life.  I am asking you HOTPE, because you are experiencing it and you started a discussion about it.

What I have learned from you so far is that:

1.  You chose to buy a new vehicle rather than replace the battery in the one you have.

2.  The dealer didn’t make a suitable offer for your trade-in or you would have taken it.

You say the Leaf can still make it to town and back, but very soon it won’t.  I  also question how often you drive it now that you have your new car. 

So the main question is what to do with this perfectly good vehicle, that all it needs is a $15,000 battery.

Side question about the warranty on your new car, since you brought it up:

If the battery goes dead at 9 years and 90,000 miles, do you get a free replacement, complete with installation and disposal, or is it pro-rated like with most batteries?
My 2 cents:
1) the Leaf is 10 years old.  I didn’t think a 10 year old car was worth more than a $5000 or so to repair/upgrade.  It runs fine, has good acceleration. We make short trips so works great as a second or third car.
2) I didn’t ask about a trade in with the dealer, just decided to keep the Leaf. The battery range hasn’t changed much in the last year or two.  I’ll probably keep it as long as it can charge to 25-30 miles.

[b]New car battery warranty:[/b]
[b]Within the warranty period, the battery will be covered for repairs needed to restore the battery capacity to at least 70% of its original capacity. If possible, the original components of the EV battery will be repaired, and the battery will be reinstalled to the vehicle. [/b]

[b]In any case, the EV power cell is impossible to be repaired. It will be replaced with a new or remanufactured battery.[/b]
The warranty sounds like it might be better that I expected, so that’s good.  It tells me that the company is confident that the battery will last at least through the warranty period.

Still, at some point you will be faced with the inevitable.  Which brings us back to the Leaf.

”I’ll probably keep it as long as it can charge to 25-30 miles.”

And then what?
How do you " restore " a dead bat ?

Reolaced ? That means to me a new one as per the beginning of ownership

Or will it just be a 70%er that survives the warranty ??.

And when does "70 % ( only ) "kick in ??

And den waat ? perfect question!