Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
(01-10-2024, 04:11 PM)randomq Wrote: TomK, that was an incredibly culturally insensitive post. Some Indigenous American cultures believe taking a photo steals the soul and diminishes the spiritual world. Please remove all photos and systems capable of taking, storing, or sharing them. You arse.

Now you're talking my language!

(01-10-2024, 11:44 PM)terracore Wrote: I'm offended that they named it after a candy bar.  Do you know how many people a year die from consuming too much sugar?

Did you know the Milky Way chocolate bar is called a Mars bar (its proper name) in the UK?  Then there's Galaxy chocolate (which is actually very nice). I think you might be onto a conspiracy here.
(01-11-2024, 06:03 AM)TomK Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 04:11 PM)randomq Wrote: TomK, that was an incredibly culturally insensitive post. Some Indigenous American cultures believe taking a photo steals the soul and diminishes the spiritual world. Please remove all photos and systems capable of taking, storing, or sharing them. You arse.

Now you're talking my language!

(01-10-2024, 11:44 PM)terracore Wrote: I'm offended that they named it after a candy bar.  Do you know how many people a year die from consuming too much sugar?

Did you know the Milky Way chocolate bar is called a Mars bar (its proper name) in the UK?  Then there's Galaxy chocolate (which is actually very nice). I think you might be onto a conspiracy here.

Don't get me started on Starburst.  Red Dye #40.  Sugar.  More like a Death Starburst.
I like Moon Pies a lot and order them on Amazon all the time. Mmmmmmm . . .
(01-11-2024, 07:24 AM)ChunksterK Wrote: I like Moon Pies a lot and order them on Amazon all the time.  Mmmmmmm . . .

Don't you mean Wagon Wheels? Let's not add to the conspiracy.
(01-09-2024, 02:06 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 01:30 AM)randomq Wrote: If any god cares enough they can intervene. None have.

Well, maybe one has..

Moon landing attempt by US company appears doomed..

From: https://apnews.com/article/moon-landing-...fbf9a7cade

The first U.S. moon landing attempt in more than 50 years appeared to be doomed after a private company’s spacecraft developed a “critical” fuel leak just hours after Monday’s launch... ..Besides flying experiments for NASA, Astrobotic drummed up its own freight business, packing the 6-foot-tall (1.9-meter-tall) Peregrine lander with everything from a chip of rock from Mount Everest and toy-size cars from Mexico that will catapult to the lunar surface and cruise around, to the ashes and DNA of deceased space enthusiasts, including “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry and science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke...

In the meantime, in the real world:

"The US company that was hoping to land on the Moon will bring its mission home to destruction in the coming hours.

Astrobotic says its Peregrine spacecraft will be directed to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and burn up.

The lander suffered a major propellant leak shortly after launching from Florida on its Vulcan rocket last week.

Although engineers were able to stabilise the situation, the loss of oxidiser meant a safe touch-down on the lunar surface could never be attempted.

Pittsburgh-based Astrobotic has decided to dispose of the craft, rather than let it wander aimlessly through space, posing a collision hazard.

"Astrobotic has positioned the Peregrine spacecraft for a safe, controlled re-entry to Earth over a remote area of the South Pacific. The team has been continuously monitoring our re-entry analysis with [the US space agency, Nasa]," the company said in its latest mission update.

"We expect re-entry to occur at approximately 16:00 Thursday, January 18 EST (21:00 GMT).""

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67962397
DLNR is transferring land to Dept of Ag for ranching and other food production leases.  They won’t say where the parcels are located other than mostly on Big Island.  Since ranching is considered a desecration
of the aina (see page one of this thread) will the new Mauna Kea authority step in?

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...nr-to-doa/
(01-19-2024, 06:35 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: DLNR is transferring land to Dept of Ag for ranching and other food production leases.  They won’t say where the parcels are located other than mostly on Big Island.  Since ranching is considered a desecration
of the aina (see page one of this thread) will the new Mauna Kea authority step in?

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...nr-to-doa/

Desecration aside, there isn't a slaughterhouse to process the cattle.  Most of the cattle raised on the island is auctioned off to feed lots on the mainland.  So I don't see how this meets  “The success of ranchers and farmers is a key component to the state’s agriculture goals, such as doubling food production, farm-to-school and the many other goals that we want — food sustainability, food security. We need production on agricultural lands,”  This might make some select ranchers richer off of state resources, but how is it going to affect our food "sustainability" if the food is sent to the mainland?  Years ago some grant money paid for a mobile slaughterhouse, but the bureaucracy drove it to bankruptcy.  I wonder what happened to the equipment?  Sold for scrap?
I have no idea how this will end up, but the move to a new management system for Mauna Kea would always end up with something like this. No one is going to be happy.

"OHA sues over Mauna Kea management authority, calling it unconstitutional"

"HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -A special board set up to manage Mauna Kea in the wake of the Thirty Meter Telescope conflict is being challenged by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.

In a lawsuit filed this week in Circuit Court, OHA says the new Mauna Kea management authority is unconstitutional and should be repealed.
"

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/01/20...itutional/
Another article, this time from Honolulu Civil Beat. It includes the actual complaint. The comments are interesting.

"But in the complaint filed Wednesday, OHA challenges the constitutionality of Act 255 and says that at least two members on the authority — Rich Matsuda, the director of the W. M. Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea, and Douglass Shipman Adams, director of research and development for Hawaii County — have conflicts of interest because of their positions and can’t serve objectively."

https://www.civilbeat.org/2024/01/oha-ch...authority/
From Big Island Video News:

"Act 255 specifically designates a seat on the Authority for a representative of the telescopes on Mauna Kea. This creates a conflict of interest where that representative has the ability to vote on actions that can benefit them. This creates a breach of contract and fiduciary duties."

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2024/...authority/

So, one person on a board of eleven represents the Mauna Kea Observatories (and he's a local BTW), and it's unfair and should be removed? Does this mean anyone else who might vote should be removed because their vote might also benefit them?

PS. These are the current serving members (from http://www.kahea.org/remember-the-maunak...-authority)

Douglass Shipman Adams, serving in the ex-officio seat for the mayor of the County of Hawaiʻi, or the mayor’s designee. Adams was designated by Hawai‘i Mayor Mitch Roth.

Eugene Bal III, serving in the ex-officio seat for the chair of the University of Hawai‘i Board of Regents, Bal was designated by UH Regent chair, Randy Moore.

Kamanamaikalani Beamer serves as the member with ʻāina resource management expertise and specific experience with Hawaiʻi island‑based management. Beamer is a UH professor at the Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies.

Pomaikai Bertelmann serves as the member who is a lineal descendent of a practitioner of Native Hawaiian traditional and customary practices associated with Mauna Kea. She works with the Polynesian Voyaging Society and is a middle school instructor at Kanu o Ka ʻĀina Charter School.

Dawn Chang serves in the ex-officio seat for the chairperson of the Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Paul Horner serves as a member submitted by the President of the Senate. Horner is a NāLeo television executive.

John Komeiji serves as the member with business and finance experience who has previous administrative experience in managing a large private-sector business. Komeji is a vice president and general counsel for Kamehameha Schools. He is the MKSOA chairperson.

Kalehua Krug serves as the member who is recognized as possessing expertise in the fields of preschool through 12th-grade public education or post-secondary education. Krug is the principal of Ka Waihona o Ka Na‘auao public charter school in Wai‘anae.

Lanakila Mangauil serves as the member who is a recognized practitioner of Native Hawaiian traditional and customary practices.

Rich Matsuda serves as a member submitted by Mauna Kea Observatories.

Noe Noe Wong-Wilson serves a member submitted by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Bonnie Irwin is the non-voting UH Hilo chancellor.