Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
people with so little respect to desecrate their land.. not so much.

When I read about the adze quarry on Mauna Kea it’s usually held up as an example of the skill and determination of Hawaiian residents climbing the mauna, living in cold conditions for months, and bringing a valuable resource to the ali’i.  Rarely is it described as a desecration.  Even though the land has never been returned to its natural state. 

What would have happened if the common man at the time blockaded the road to the quarry, because their personal, spiritual, cultural conviction felt the sacred mountain was being defiled by the rulers?

Is it possible people 500 years in the future might look back in admiration at Mauna Kea, perhaps in awe of the “ancient” astronomical discoveries that propelled the human race toward the stars?  That Native Hawaiians in the year 2524 will feel a sense of pride because their mauna, their island played a part in taking navigators from the seas to the stars?  Where we continue to discover new lands.
(03-15-2024, 08:27 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: When I read about the adze quarry on Mauna Kea..

I think you'd find a visit to the quarry enlightening, Edge. I spent a few days and nights there when I was working on my Mauna Kea project (early '90s) and the experience had a profound impact on me. 

You might also follow up on my suggestion to grok the effects of our mother tongue on the ways our brains work. To seriously consider why it can be so difficult to comprehend the way people from another culture see the world around them. Why people who come to the islands and impose their beliefs on the people here rather than open themselves to their beliefs can be left not knowing what's going on around them at all. As I am suggesting those on the mountain have alienated themselves from their neighbors to the point folks are just waiting for them to leave. And it's not the science.. everyone's intrigued by the science.. but the lack of empathy of some of the scientists.
my suggestion to grok the effects of our mother tongue on the ways our brains work. To seriously consider why it can be so difficult to comprehend the way people from another culture see the world around them.

So does that work for the English language too? That is, if someone learns and speaks English, do they grok an intrinsic understanding of how English speakers comprehend culture and the world around them?  And get a sense of why what we have here is a failure to communicate?  Or does that only work in England?
Whose mother tongue shall we grok?

As for it being The Native Hawaiian Mother Tongue, I fail to see your right to speak about it in any form.

If it’s the American Mother Tongue, I think it would be best for you to keep it in your mouth.

You seem to want to talk as though you’re the injured party here. You’re not.

At any event, keep reposting your well versed, although worn out, spew.
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
Oh, dearest Julie. You look good on that leash.. and oh my that's such a stylish collar.. I love the spikes.

It takes a while but the novelty wears off.. have fun.
(03-16-2024, 01:40 AM)MyManao Wrote: Oh, dearest Julie. You look good on that leash.. and oh my that's such a stylish collar.. I love the spikes.

It takes a while but the novelty wears off.. have fun.

Typical.

You do know that human males use misogyny due to two basic reasons:

1. They have no intellectual point to make,
2. Their own realization that their penis is very small

Have fun!
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
You look good on that leash.. and oh my that's such a stylish collar.. I love the spikes.

What aloha, and deep respect you exhibit in your comments toward women and human beings in general.  Is it thanks to your enriched life as you described a few pages back?

and I feel blessed to have had such an enriched life because of the Hawaiian culture. From the minute I landed I have been in awe of the spirit of aloha. 
… the kindest, most loving, and truly the most open and giving people on the planet, 
… there are different ways of living our lives, of seeing things, of feeling things…
… the alternative is so rewarding, so enriching.

Is your comment at the top a representative example of what you’ve learned, after years of immersing yourself so deeply in Hawaiian ways?
Hey Edge, it sounds like you're looking for a role model.. and in all honesty I can assure you it ain't me. 

As to language's roll in the formation of our mind and our perception, Gary Snyder, who's spoken a lot about it over the years, wrote an interesting take on the subject that's online here..

https://www.kyotojournal.org/culture-art...-two-ways/

One of the more salient points he makes is briefly stated..

Language goes two ways: it enables us to have a small window onto an independently existing world, but it also shapes how we see that world.

I think, if you are not already familiar with him, you'd find Gary's body of work intriguing. You might consider checking him out.. giving him a spin on your favor search engine..
Gary Snyder

Yes.
I have many of his books, and have read them since the 1970’s.
Did you see Gary and Volcano poet Albert Saijo at their beat improv in Cymbidium Acres in early 2000?  It was an unforgettable event.
Speaking of language:  Füttere den Troll nicht.