Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer sues lady after they accidentally built on her lot, someone pooped on floor
Haha, no, it wasn't meant to be true "disappointment", just a comment on it having been available as Kalianna posted, even in jest, for the unfortunate woman the thread is addressing (still wrapping ny head around that whole debacle.)

I'm on the Labyrinth's mailing list and saw the original listing/offer and that it sold, and the new owner's vision.

I hope it continues to benefit the community as well!

It is an asset...a peaceful, beautiful place. Was sad to hear it had been vandalized, resulting in it having to no longer be accessible 24 hours a day. Some people can't appreciate such "goodness" and have to do "bad" to make themselves feel better. Ugh.
(05-14-2024, 09:48 PM)Punatang Wrote: Obviously the lines aren't going to be EXACT - terracore

hahaha!  Go back and take a harder look at the two photos either in my post or on the redfin link.  LOL  Can't believe no one has caught it yet...

and thanks for the tip on ACRES!!!

"Boundary lines are approximate" should be required verbiage.
"Seller completed K-1| No guessing which lot you are purchasing!"

About 20 years ago we bought a lot in HA Acres on Rd 7 a few in from "D". We had the corners identified and marked as part of our escrow closing instructions. Don't remember if it was pin finding marks, or a full survey.

Anyhoo, we had four stakes with pink ribbons to show us our lot boundaries. We weren't ready to build yet, but we did start planting tropicals, ornamentals, and some fruit trees and would do this every few weeks and enjoy the property. A couple years later we arrived to find someone on "our" lot working it, etc. The realty was that the "professional" pin finder/surveyor pinned the lot NEXT to our actual lot!! Surprise, surprise.

We've since sold it and no longer desire to be on three acres. But, even when one tries via the usual routes, the boundary ID can still go wrong in this County! It's probably quite rare, but, hey . . .
A lot has changed in 20 years. Heck, a lot has changed in just a few years. Commercial surveying GPS units can be accurate to within a centimeter, millimeter-level accuracy is even possible if one has enough time and money to spend.
I had an old Vietnam vet with a blurry spotting scope do mine. He sighted the pin down the street from mine, rotated 90 degrees, then just kept looking down that scope and cutting the line and tying flagger's tape on strings and adjusting the tape on the strings and when he got to the back his line was off from the pin by about 4 inches over 871 feet! They called him "The Magician". He was also a number theory hobbyist, and pretty sure he cracked the distribution of prime numbers and other secrets of the universe before going back into hiding.

Metaphysically speaking I think we are all off by a few lots. But at least this lot is full of interesting people.
(05-17-2024, 03:42 PM)randomq Wrote: I had an old Vietnam vet with a blurry spotting scope do mine.  He sighted the pin down the street from mine, rotated 90 degrees, then just kept looking down that scope and cutting the line and tying flagger's tape on strings and adjusting the tape on the strings and when he got to the back his line was off from the pin by about 4 inches over 871 feet!  They called him "The Magician".  He was also a number theory hobbyist, and pretty sure he cracked the distribution of prime numbers and other secrets of the universe before going back into hiding.

Metaphysically speaking I think we are all off by a few lots.  But at least this lot is full of interesting people.

That's impressive.

One thing I learned from cutting my property line is that if you can find a pin and know what the compass coordinates are, you can generally find your way to the other pin.  After I got our property line marked I was still needing to cut over 1000' through a forest jungle that generally I could only see ahead as far as I could swing the machete.  In some places the uluhe ferns were almost 20' tall so I couldn't even see landmarks like tall trees around me.  It was super easy to wander off a straight line.  I had to dig back decades to my boy scout training about how to use a compass and even went so far as finding my old boy scout compass.  The iPhone compass is probably just as accurate but not easy to work with when cutting a line.  The BS compass could be pinned to my shirt so I could see where my straight line needed to be just by looking down and it kept my hands free to work. 

I haven't done this myself, but in most neighborhoods the property lines are consistent across the street (one would have to see a plat map to verify) where the pins are easiest to find.  So if you find your property pin, your neighbor's across the street should be in the same place on the other side.  Assuming both pins were placed correctly, if you run a string between them, and then use that to get your compass reading, in theory you could follow that bearing all the way to to the back pin.  In Orchidland, for most spag lot properties, every other pin is directly behind a utility pole, usually 3-4 feet behind, so that makes finding every other pin pretty easy.  HA has a similar layout from what I've seen, even though the lots are wider.  If the pins are original, and weren't subsequently marked with something larger like a pipe, they can be very difficult to find even for a surveyor who knows where they are supposed to be.  Sometimes the property boundary is in a puka, so they put the pin in the hole, which later got filled in.  They generally have to get hammered into rock so they don't wander off, and if they dug a hole to reach rock, chances are it's filled in by now.  The pin could be under a tree.  Dead or alive it complicates finding it.  Sometimes the pins can never be found and a surveyor has to put a new one in (something a pin finder can't do).  I saw a property in HA with a cave opening that straddles the property line.   They put the pin in the right spot, but you need a ladder and a flashlight to find it.  Many of these properties have been surveyed over and over again, so there is a good chance that the pin has faded surveyors tape from long ago on it, and that is easier to see than the pin itself. 

A surveyor told me that when the original pins were put in for these spag lots, access to the front was pretty straightforward and for the back pins they basically bulldozed a straight path between the access roads parallel to the numbered streets, so imagine where the back of one spag lot butts up against the back of the one from the block above or below yours, there was once a bulldozed path there to give them access to do the surveying and install the monuments.  In a lot of these old neighborhoods the pigs have kept those paths somewhat clear.  Usually the junk trees block their view from satellite and aerial photos but every now and then you can see them from above.  At the back of our neighbor's lot it looks almost like an abandoned road but it doesn't show up on on satellite photos.  So that's another way to assist in finding a back pin... if you find what looks like an old abandoned road running perpendicular to your spag lot, the pin is probably not going to be on the other side of it.  Of course there are other indicators... people used to plant ti plants along property lines and sometimes marked the corners with trees.  Coconuts seem to be popular.  We have a bunch planted along the back property line of one our lots, and they are so stunted from shade and poor growing conditions they aren't easy to find.  Sometimes all you'll find is a dead coconut husk.
When we found the pins on my farm I installed 10' tall PVC pipes at the points so I had a better shot at locating them again.
". . .  pins on my farm I installed 10' tall PVC pipes at the points so I had a better shot at locating them again"

We did this on one of our lots and they were all stolen within a day or two. :-(
When we had a surveyor mark our fence line about every 150' I knew that it could be years before I finished the fence so the next day I installed galvanized T-posts at each marker (anybody who has done this in rock knows how much fun it is). I also pinned each location on my iphone with a surveying app, along with how many feet away it was from the road. I marked the line with surveyors tape dangling frequently along the way. It's still there a year later though quite a bit of color has left.

We had a lot of pig activity at the time and I knew those wooden markers were one pig party away from being lost forever, so getting the line marked permanently with 6' galvanized steel was important. In less than 24 hours one of the wooden markers had fresh pig rooting within 3 feet of it. Depending on who you go with those wooden stakes are $150-$250 each (or more) to be placed, after paying them four figures to revisit the corners of course.
“According to the developer, Reynolds — who bought the lot for $22,000 at a property tax auction in 2018 and has asked for the lot to be returned to its original, predevelopment condition — “claims to have suffered total damages of no less than $1,399,808.64.””

Go for it girl!!

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...-1-4m/amp/