Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
I'm glad you are back too ironyak enen though I was not aware of your absence.  I appreciate your efforts and find value and humor in your expansive posts.  Opinions are like Okoles but I respect yours and the way you have reached them.  Get yourself an "I Love Punatang"  T-shirt and we will pick you up whenever we see you for carpools.  We are all in this together.  Cardboard under mulch is the way. One kid is plenty. I bet your two are sharp as tacks.

HJ, it's hard to determine if they care less about the health of the planet or the health of your friend.  Subjecting someone to that schedule of flying creates plenty of stress.  Stress is the enemy.  I hope you find a better way.

Random that's good stuff.  I'm moving toward the solar and electrifying everything possible.  

Mark Glick aways seemed like a righteous dude. He used to live in Laupahoehoe surrounded by Jardins back in the day.  He hiked from Laupahoehoe point up to the top of Mauna Kea.  First person to do it in like 150 years ish.  He was personally and professionally focused on this issue long before it became mainstream.  He was always advocating for a transition to LNG for vehicles etc.  Are we saying that LNG is not an improvement over oil?

I'm open to that but if so, why would Gov Green who is presumably not a closet, sick, MAGA ______________,  have taken the stance he has?
Are we seriously supposed to believe that no adults had any hands in this?

Earthjustice and Our Children’s Trust provided legal assistance in the case, just as most adults have lawyers represent them when filing a lawsuit or appearing in court. 

Another example might be Rosa Parks, the Montgomery bus boycott, which eventually lead to the Supreme Court case Browder v. Gayle, 352 U.S. 903, although Parks was not a part of that.  Sometimes a change in society begins when an injustice of the disenfranchised evolves into a lawsuit waiting for a plaintiff to happen.  The right plaintiff, at the right time, which allows authority and society to see the status quo is just plain wrong.
@terrcore:

No need worry! You have UNLIMITED credit at PWB&G. We put EVERYTHING under Rob's name! (joking!)

As for how "13 young people" sued the state - well they used two nonprofit pro-bono law firms dedicated to fighting climate change while representing the youth.

Earth Justice

and

Our Children's Trust

By the way, as you know, June is "PRIDE" month. But then I came across this "twist" of a meme and - wow - you're the first person that came to mind! (as well as myself)

@punatang:

I agree. But the general consensus of the Insurance Company AND the medical organization seems to be that everyone in Hawaii is 2 blocks away. And my neighbor is doing just fine today!

As for LNG, I don't see it as being "promoted" in the sense of it being a cure all. I see it being discussed as a short-term alternative. As like, imagine where we would have been TODAY, if the coagulated artery of humanity - Ige, along with the PUC had not gotten in the way and had allowed the implementation from "bunker oil" to LNG to begin with 10 plus years ago.

It's like being diagnosed with a form of cancer, that if treated and managed properly as soon as possible, you will slowly recover and be fine, obviously with constant monitoring and using newer technologies as they emerge. But doing nothing, will eventually kill you.

Well, on the bunker oil to LNG front, we decided to do nothing.

And then we wonder why 13-year-olds sue us?

Go figure!
You must have studied Alan Greenspan.  I have no idea what you are saying HJ LOL.  Is switching our power generation from oil to LNG, for a day or longer, going to retard climate change.  Yes or no. please =)
(06-26-2024, 04:07 AM)Punatang Wrote: You must have studied Alan Greenspan.  I have no idea what you are saying HJ LOL.  Is switching our power generation from oil to LNG, for a day or longer, going to retard climate change.  Yes or no. please =)

YES

BUT...

In addition to LNG conversion from bunker oil, Hawaii COULD have capitalized on geothermal decades ago. I'm not saying it was done right or done wrong in the past, but nonetheless, if it had not been for a handful of very greedy mainland AND NATIVE HAWAIIAN people, coupled with this goddamn mentality of everything being "sacred", geothermal COULD be suppling a vast MAJORITY of - at least here on the Big Island for sure, our power needs. Including allowing for the - "now that its more efficient so we use more" crowd.

And then, and again, not saying what was proposed was right or wrong, but waste to energy COULD have been something that again, if done right, benefited the Big Island in numerous ways. But nonetheless, some of those belching diesel waste trucks hauling our east side garbage to the west side are newer DEF equipped heavy trucks. Some are. Most aren't.

And I think, not for sure, but I think Hawaii County is no longer paying daily non-compliance fines to the EPA for the now closed east Hawaii landfill, so that's a good thing, I guess.
(06-26-2024, 04:27 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: if it had not been for a handful of very greedy mainland AND NATIVE HAWAIIAN people..

What are you talking about? Seriously, and in all caps to boot. If you had any idea, at all, of what went down here, what were the causes, who were the parties on either side of the issue, etc., you wouldn't have written that. At all. Period.

It's simply amazing, you inject yourself in everything, and go on as if you know what you're talking about; geothermal, Kau, TMT, it don't matter, you have an opinion. You don't know the history, you have no idea who actually did what when, and yet instead of asking questions, letting those with institutional knowledge share what they know, you can't do that. Well, dear, you are so full of yourself on this one it leaves everything else you go on about equally as suspect..
(06-26-2024, 05:33 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 04:27 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: if it had not been for a handful of very greedy mainland AND NATIVE HAWAIIAN people..

What are you talking about? Seriously, and in all caps to boot. If you had any idea, at all, of what went down here, what were the causes, who were the parties on either side of the issue, etc., you wouldn't have written that. At all. Period.

It's simply amazing, you inject yourself in everything, and go on as if you know what you're talking about; geothermal, Kau, TMT, it don't matter, you have an opinion. You don't know the history, you have no idea who actually did what when, and yet instead of asking questions, letting those with institutional knowledge share what they know, you can't do that. Well, dear, you are so full of yourself on this one it leaves everything else you go on about equally as suspect..

And yet, here YOU are spewing YOUR blather.

If you had any idea, at all, of how long I've been here, what I've seen done here and what I've been involved with here, you would delete your response to me altogether.

As for who is full of himself, look into the mirror. There is nothing that you have ever said (I've read each and every post you have made since you took on this screen name) as well as a few posts of all the other screen names you used in the past that I've seen discussed by others - that is NOT suspect in every sense of the word.

If you desire ANY further debate from me on this topic, take it to the bicker thread, where your dribble belongs. As that's about the only opinion you can muster up is to try to denigrate any poster whom you don't agree with.
Julie, it's simple, you expose your lack of knowledge with your posts. Bitch all you want.. talk about sex organs all you want.. accuse.. complain, but your post expose your ignorance.. and your immaturity.

And then.. look at the reams of nonsense you post.. what else can one expect?
(06-26-2024, 05:33 AM)MyManao Wrote: It's simply amazing, you inject yourself in everything, and go on as if you know what you're talking about; geothermal, Kau, TMT, it don't matter, you have an opinion.

Do you have a problem with someone having an opinion? How about someone expressing their opinion? I've seen you post your opinions on stuff you do not know; you've often lied about them, so I am having a problem trying not to say pot, kettle, and black.
Of all people, Mililani Trask is behind geothermal energy - STATEWIDE. Can't get more Hawaiian than that.

And back, when drilling for geothermal began in the 1960's and all the blow outs and then the major blowout in 1991, sorry - in as much as all that back then was done by greedy mainland development, Native Hawaiians were involved.

Not that it really matters, but to deny that is as disingenuous as one can be.

And, as I first said about geothermal - IF DONE RIGHT.

But what the eff do I know.