Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
There is a house in Leilani that has several steam vents in the front and side yards, maybe 50 feet from the house.  People have lived there since 2018.  I know someone down the road mauka from steam vents off Hwy 130, with multiple vents on their property.  

Everyone is different, some more sensitive than others.
Getting off the Pele subject for a moment, but in the interest of man made carbon emission reduction, along with HOTPE’s prior comment several pages back about being behind a car belching a huge cloud of smoke every time the accelerator was pressed, I wonder how the people would react to a State SMOG testing program, similar or even identical to the California SMOG testing program?

Or even a federally mandated SMOG testing program?

I guess we would see who is really onboard with man made carbon reduction if that was ever implemented.
Sadly, a program like SMOG would probably be adhered to or enforced about as well as cops busting people for expired safety inspection stickers, and/or for having illegal lift-kits, tires sticking out a foot on either side of a truck, or blackout window tinting...or no windshield at all. Or door(s). Or driver's license. Or insurance.

Cops routinely look the other way because it's someone they know's braddah-unko-cuz behind the wheel.

The vast number of poorly-running, emissions-belching, eardrum-shattering engines-about-to-explode Puna-mobiles driving around here are testament to how little is done about much of anything.

Guess I'm on a negative tear today. Should I have taken this to the Bicker Board? Or since there probably is no argument, maybe we need to also have a Bitching Board? ;-P
Let it rip punakahakaiferret!

I agree that Hawaii’s seemingly inability or whatever terms you desire to use is so spot on, but California is very strict in its enforcement of the SMOG program. 

A few years ago, a client of mine who owned several “classic” cars from the late 70’s - he had gone on a buying binge back then when all the big old cars were starting to be “downsized.”

As per the California DMV regulations at the time, his cars qualified him to get “Historical Vehicle” license plates. When he applied and got them, he was told he was “exempt” from having to get the annual SMOG test. Until one year when he is told that there was one specific DMV person assigned by the California DMV in Sacramento who handled all Historical Vehicle license plates and took it upon himself to declare that these vehicles were exempt. He then retired. 

So my client, who also had homes in Minnesota and Wisconsin simply reregistered his classic cars in those states which had no inspections whatsoever. 

Two weeks after getting his Minnesota plates on one of his classic cars, he got pulled over. About the only thing they did not do to him was actually arrest him and take him to jail. The California Highway Patrol was able to pull up his total registration records and figured out what he did. And for all his other cars too. 

He was fined in excess of 25,000 dollars. 

He eventually sold off his entire classic car collection.
(07-08-2024, 10:40 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: SMOG program...

Considering that, on the frontside, folks aren’t rushing to be weened from fossil fuels Cali’s SMOG regulations are probably the model to follow once the technology is developed to capture CO2 on the backside. Put some little doohickey on the back end of a tailpipe and drive that classic beast till the cows come home!

The industry and the technology is young but given half a chance the future holds all sorts of possibilities.. I love how this story has a Hawaii component.. gee.. just think.. we have the geothermal.. and the basalt.. 

From: https://www.fastcompany.com/91120071/cli...ry-iceland

The world's biggest carbon removal factory just opened in Iceland

Which in part reads..

The new plant, called Mammoth, has installed 12 modular containers so far. By the end of the year, it will have 72, with the capacity to capture around 36,000 tons of CO2 per year...

...Inside shipping-container-size boxes, fans pull outside air through filters that capture the CO2. The process runs on renewable energy from a neighboring geothermal plant. After the CO2 is captured, a company called Carbfix dissolves it in water and pumps that deep underground, where it naturally reacts with basalt rocks and turns permanently into stone.

Gee.. that kinda sounds like something Puna could do!
Puna has smaller boxes that generate CO2 so that da kine grows better.

Carbon dioxide
Feeds green leaves, even exchange
Breath of life returns
(07-08-2024, 11:55 PM)Punatang Wrote: Puna has smaller boxes that generate CO2 so that da kine grows better.

Carbon dioxide
Feeds green leaves, even exchange
Breath of life returns

I’m invoking Rob’s rule of assuming the best, and asking questions, so please do not be offended by my question asking if you made this post as a “tongue in cheek joke”, or are you serious?

Again, I’m not trying to bicker or insult or anything other than to ask you to please clarify. 

Sincerely and even more importantly, respectfully yours,

Julie
 are you serious?

100%!  Pot growers use carbon dioxide generators in their grow rooms to increase yield.  It's a thing. Thanks so much for being so respectful.  Aloha

Gentle words and deeds
Honor others' dignity
Respect blooms like spring
"Pot growers use carbon dioxide generators in their grow rooms to increase yield.  It's a thing."

Well, as they say, you learn something new every day!

The reason I asked was that in as much as I've never grown marijuana, I have over the years met and seen several huge commercial pot growers/grow operations in both California and Colorado - and they were like CO2 was the anti-christ to them. 

I've heard of its use in commercial greenhouses for plants, flowers, fruits and vegetables, but the guys whom I met - and these were massive growing operations - 100,000 square foot plus industrial buildings converted into grow rooms - and they were really strict on all things CO2. No cars allowed within several hundred feet of the building - all equipment, such as forklifts etc., were all battery operated - with ultra no smoking/vaping (of anything) allowed. There were two grow sites I got to see that even limited the number of humans that could be in the grow house at any one time as well as for no more than 60 minutes - with 60 minutes of no one allowed after. They even had special insulated 3- or 4-inch diameter iron piping run on the outside of the buildings that they could hook up the exhaust stacks of these 200-amp standby generators that took the exhaust far away from any possible entrance to the buildings. They had also spent tens of thousands of dollars on air conditioning/filtration systems as well.

Now, it might be a different story of it increased POTENCY but from what I gathered their opinion was the yield increase was not worth the cost.
 even limited the number of humans that could be in the grow house at any one time 

Haha for sure! If you have a room full of pakalolo, that's probably a rule you have, CO2 notwithstanding.  Convenience stores often do the same thing.

That is really interesting (the whole story) about your commercial pot contacts.  Who knew?  As punakahakaiferrett says, "I got nothing"

Fewer hands glide by
Watchful eyes curb sticky palms
Profits safe, da kine