Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysterious Bug bites......
Another good remedy for bee stings is tobacco. If you are stung out somewhere without anything else (it's kinda gross) but even if you or no one else around you is a smoker, you can usually find a cigarette butt on the ground. Open the cigarette and just moisten a little pile of the tobacco and it will take the sting away quickly. Being a non-smoker, I prefer baking soda, but sometimes ya gotta make due with whatcha got!
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Ok, so our Bite First Aid Kit should contain: Vinegar, baking soda, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, Benadryl, smokes and ice packs. And of course, if you've ever had an alergic reaction to bee stings, your EpiPen kit from your doctor. Great suggestions- I've tried them all at one time (except the vinegar) and they do provide relief.

Papain is produced from the latex (milky excretion) from green papayas that have been scored. It's worth a try in a pinch if you have a papaya tree.

My mother would always break off a piece of Aloe Vera and rub it on a bee sting. It is so easy to grow and propagate that I always have one growing. The juice gives immediate cooling and it keeps the skin from drying out. The healing and curative properties of Aloe Vera are the stuff of urban legend.

Larry

Larry
Aloe Vera is a great first aid for burns. I also keep three or four plants around.

Opps double post,deleted.

Edited by - Jeffhale on 07/28/2007 16:33:10
We never leave without our trusty rusty betadine. (Modified iodine). But over 20 years ago, we learned it could kill the venom of a brown recluse, (violin spider). Stop the venoms action of rotting the skin. Last year it resolved a centipede bite, quickly took it from infectious blistering to healing, same as Brown Recluse... Except we learned that rarely your skin could react to it.. But when bitten by something vicious, soaked band-aid with betadine, kills poisonous venom and begins to heal um up, after using it, changing band-aids, keeping the betadine on the area, wet, for three days.

Edited by - Jeffhale on 07/28/2007 16:37:36
Here is a guy that tested most of the remedies mentioned here.

http://www.slate.com/id/2088863/

Scott
Well its been four days now and the swelling has not subsided between using benedryl, alcohol, witches hazel, neoprene, hydrocortosone....unfortunately not on island now to try the papaya... i would like to get the swelling down so i'm not sure what direction to take, but will maintain the same regimen for a few more days and then see my doctor.

Haven't had a bad reaction to this since i got terrible wasps stings in the past....maybe i'm also allergic to these stings?

noel

Have heard a good control for the catepillars -- use one of those old bug zappers during the time the moth form is flying, and it will attract and kill them rather than let them lay their eggs.

Jane

I finally made a trip to my doctor who told me that this type of rash was more likely due not to insects but to plant form species and created a rash like tendency common to poison oak.

The only thing i did though was pull various ferns and some vines from our lava rock wall....not sure if there are plants that are similar to poison oak (tendencies) that can create this type of effect....or maybe i've just got delicate skin??? No - really i'm an avid gardener so i'm really curious about what types of plant forms can create this type of outcome....any ideas or experiences from anyone that have had similar experiences from brushing with the local flora vs fauna?

noel