Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What cheap inside tip would you give a Punatic?
I'm sure alot of you have discovered some great inside tips that only your neigbhors swore you to secrecy...but hey this is your punaweb family.

Okay, i'll start of by saying I had an amazing cheap lunch at Merrimans....go there for lunch because its a third of the price compared to their dinner menus and the place is packed with all locals from waimea.....I would say the same also for Kaikodo - lunch is a steal compared to dinner prices and they serve an active business crowd.

Look forward to your postings.

noel

Noel,
Kaikodo did have a good lunch deal, but they closed down for good (couldn't make it here, they tried)
The HeleOn bus is the best deal on island, and they have greatly improved their service since they went to free island wide service. This is one area where lower Puna actually has it best, with 6 round trip buses on the weekdays that cover early morning to late night (no other area on island has the morning till night service that lower Puna has) If they can establish more Park'n'ride areas this should be a no brainer for anyone in lower Puna.

Before Luquins changed their menu, they offered a one enchilada dinner for $3.75, or a two enchilada dinner for $3.50. Now that was a bargain.

quote:
Before Luquins changed their menu, they offered a one enchilada dinner for $3.75, or a two enchilada dinner for $3.50. Now that was a bargain.

Liquins has a killer chicken soup that's not on the menu. Cheap too! I forget how much though. Sorry!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
There are many days when Luquin's won't let you get a side of guacamole. But if you order a burrito supreme or other things that COME with guac, you will get it. Or if you beg...

Also, Boogie Woogie Pizza will burn your pizza unless you tell them not to.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
The two combo plate specials at Ludi's Filipino in Pahoa is a great deal two choices for $7.50, get the chicken adobo/or pork dish....there's pictures of what the dishes look like if your not familiar....also get the fried bananas there with icecream....its the best i've ever had $2.00 for three.

The Zoo is a great place to relax and take a leisurely stroll and it's free!

Buy low and sell high

Island Natural's hot bar,good and nutritious, and their take and bake pizza is $10 for a 12 inch. It's the best pizza I've had on island, although Cafe Pesto was good but pricier.
Of course Cafe 100 Loco Moco $1.99
Suisan Fish Market for the best price on fish and freshest.
Both the Hilo and Makuu Farmer's Markets.
I, too will sorely miss "Kaikodo", it was my special occasion/family visit place to go.
I think the "Hilo Bay Cafe" is just as good foodwise. But Kaikodo had that great atmosphere.
One of my favorite cost cutting methods was cutting back to the VERY basic cable we get about 15 stations for $9.85, and in it's place we do Netflix for $17.00 We end up paying less than we did with the original basic cable ,I think was around $38.00, and always have movies to watch.
We also put in an electric on demand water heater and all flourescent bulbs and our electric bill dropped by almost $100.
Just a few things off the top off my head.
Aloha, Angela

During the month of September, 11 "major Hawai`i Island centers of art, history, astronomy, culture, tsunami, animals, gardens and energy are collaborating on a new, “Celebrating Museums,” month-long program to celebrate and cross-promote their institutions during September.

The eleven institutions in both East and West Hawai`i that are joining together in this new endeavor represent many of the major, informal education resources on the Big Island. During the month of September, each will provide free admission to the members of other participating institutions when a current museum membership card is shown.

Membership benefits of each participating institution will be available to members at the other participating museums during the month of September.

The eleven participating institutions that will offer free admission to other museum members and discounts to members from partnering institutions are listed below with their hours and contact information. To participate in the program, a current membership card and identification must be displayed.

Amy H.B. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Gardens – free admission and 10% discount on all plant sales. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 am to 5 pm Closed weekends, (808) 323-3318

East Hawai`i Cultural Center – 10% discount in Store – Hours: Mon – Sat, 10 am to 4 pm, (808) 935-9085.

`Imiloa Astronomy Center – free admission + 10% discount in Store and 10% discount in Café. Hours: Tues – Sun, 9 am to 4 pm, Café opens at 7 am, (808) 969-9700.
View special events here. Open Monday, Labor Day – special keiki programming and PBS preview of “Seeing in the Dark” and planetarium shows.

Hawai`i Gateway Energy Center (Friends of NELHA ) – Free admission–Hours: Tues, Wed, Thu - presentations 10-11:30 am. Call 808-329-8073.

Hawai`i Tropical Botanical Garden – Free admission and 10% discount in Store. Hours: Open Daily 9 am to 5 pm (last entry into Garden at 4 pm). Call (808) 964-5233.

Hilo Art Museum – free admission + 10% discount in Store and 10% discount on classes. Hours: Sun - Tues, 9 am to 7 pm, Wed - Sat 9am to 9pm, (808) 961-1426 or (9-611-HAM). Open Monday, Labor Day – see the special "Art of the Holocaust" exhibit.

Kona Historical Society – free admission + 10% discount in Store – (808) 323-3222. Also members can use coupons offering 2 for 1 to bring additional friends –
1) Kona Coffee Living History Farm Tours – Mon-Fri, 9 am to 2 pm
2) Greenwell Store Museum & Gift Shop – Mon-Fri, 9 am to 3 pm

Lyman Museum – free admission for members + 10% off in Store. Hours: Mon-Sat, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, (808)-935-5021

Pacific Tsunami Museum – free admission [no discount in store] Hours: Mon-Sat, 9 am to 4 pm, 808-935-0926

The Pana`ewa Rainforest Zoo & Gardens– 10% discount in Store – Hours: Open Daily, 9 am to 4 pm – (808) 959-9233. The Zoo is extending member benefits to Oct. 6 so “visiting” members can participate in White Tiger’s Birthday Party

Volcano Art Center – 10% gallery discount – Hours: Open Daily, 9 am to 5 pm – (808) 967-7565.