Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tropical Winemaking
Hey Puna friends,

Years back we used to make some pretty great dry wine out of northwest berries -- blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc... We'd like to start making wine with local stuff here, and would like to hear if anyone out there has had particular success with citrus wines? Other fruits? We're trying a batch of Lime wine that's not behaving normally (so far!).

Jane and Pete

Something with a higher sugar content might work better. Jaboticaba is a sweet, juicy fruit with a taste similar to muscadine grapes. Mountain apple is another local fruit that might ferment well. I haven't tried this, but these came to mind.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yep -- we knew it was going to be a challenge, but hey, the limes were free and our Mountain apple trees are having problems with the Ohia mite and Jaboticaba is too young to bear fruit yet. We got the PH balanced, and have now tried a different type of yeast to see if it deals better with the acidic must. This is a first trial, so are interested in seeing what others have tried.

Thanks again! We are looking forward to those two fruits to try out (main reason we bought the trees).

Jane

Volcano Winery has some awesome Guava Wine! I mean it is goooooddddd!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Volcano Winery has some awesome Guava Wine! I mean it is goooooddddd!

Mella, I'll pass that on to my husband, Tim. He's the vintner! Jane, Volcano Winery uses Jaboticaba in their Red and Blush. As Mella mentioned they also use guava. Others have used pineapple as well.

Aloha,
Jody