Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aloha from maui
hope you all send your thoughts, as with alot of folks maui is getting so expensive we are having to look elsewhere.I know I can't have it all but hope that puna will at least fill most of what we are looking for. a must is, a good swimming beach,& a place to snorkle where the water is clean and clear, that doesn't take an hour to drive to. golf for the hubby. hubby would also like a bar nearby that he can have a beer or two. a few places to eat when I get to lazy to cook. hilo side is so green and lush, which comes from the rain, but will I still be able to have days of warm sunshine. will I end up without my tan? does it even rain in the summer, any months that are dry. how about the vog? do the skies over the area look like kona side, or are there some clear skies? in looking at the forum some people were talking about houses with mold and mildew.would I have to worry aboit this if I bought a house that was pretty new? sorry for all the questions, we will come for a look see very soon just not sure if all my questions can be answered in a day or two without the help of the people who live there. if anyone has questions about maui let me know. an much much mahalo in advance for all your thoughts, suggestions and advice warm aloha to you all

Hey there hothulamaui, we meet again! You can expect rain any day of the year, sun any day of the year. I manage to keep a tan even here in the rainforest. Much of east Hawaii's coast has no beach, cliffs dropping to the ocean, but there are a couple on the Kalapana side, Kaimu, about a 2000'walk from the road, nice black beach but no swimming, (riptides) and a nice swimming beach at Kehena, but it's small, crowded, and you'll be sharing it with naked hippies. There is swimming/ surfing/snorkling/fishing at Pohoiki bay, just below Leilani, about 10 min. drive, but the beach is mostly cobbles. Also nearby at Ahalanui park and Kapoho, no beach, but easy ocean access for snorkling/ swimming and there are underwater hotsprings, pretty amazing. closest golf right now is in Hilo. Pahoa has plenty watering holes and probably more eateries per capita than anywhere.(seems like every other store on main street is a cafe.)When you go house shopping, look for singlewall/all wood construction, it works out better in the wet, less mildew/rot. Aloha, leilaniguy

leilani guy, hello again, and thanks again for the scoops. will look for all you advise. you would be a great neighbor!! mahalo

Having just spent another week in lower Puna, Kehena really only gets crowded on the weekends and is still relatively empty in the mornings then too. During the weekday mornings there would generally be a handful of people at most. Also, this was the rainiest trip I've had there in a while. By that, I mean it rained all day only 1 of the 8 days I was there. Most days were partly cloudy and 2 were completely sunny. However, it definitely rained a lot more as I drove further up the hill around Pahoa and Keaau. It all depends on where you live I guess. Anyway I am rediculously tan after a week so I doubt you'd lose yours!