Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surfing and more
We are thinking of moving to the Big Island, the wet side, and are in research mode. Puna is the area we are most interested in. We hope to visit soon. I'm hoping that someone can answer some of our questions. Can anyone tell me where the nearest surfing spots are that break year-round? Are the prices of land and homes going up as quickly as realtors would have us believe (they have a tendancy to want to create a sense of urgency)? I've heard that there are buses to Hilo, but do they stop in Hawaiian Paradise Park, any of the other subdivisions, or do they just stop in town? Also, for my work I need some type of fast Internet connection (HSI or DSL). Is that available? Thanks very much. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aloha Keana, You have an assortment of questions. I will try to answer some of them and encourage anyone to correct me or fill in other answers.

1. I think Pohiki (south shore of Puna) breaks year round. Regular surfing action there. There is another decent break just north of Hilo.

2. Land prices have indeed been going up a lot this year. This has happended in the past though perhaps not as much. Everyone will make predictions as to whether prices will level off, increase or decline soon. No one reall knows. But it is true that real estate has cycles.

3. Bus service: I now that bus service has increased into Pahoa. I can't quote the schedules. It seems very logical that the bus would pick up HPP locations.

4. Someone else has to tell you about internet access service. I have simple dial up but get lots of mailings and flyers for high speed service.

Gee. I hope this helps.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Hi Rob, Thanks very much for answering my questions. I appreciate it!