Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S L O W or no Internet?
Internet (timewarner)packed up at home this morning. Came into office (UH) and super super super slow... I had to refresh this page three times to write this. For those who know, what is going on?
same story for me. working off my cell hotspot....
Same with wi-fi up mauka. Mobile network is a go.
Good to know I'm not there only one. Even T-Mobile is barely getting reception when I normally have a few bars of LTE.
Speaking of which - does anyone know of a place in Puna (or Hilo) where you can go for reliable hi-speed internet?
(Besides McDonalds and Starbucks!)
Can't guarantee reliable or high speed, but Safeway and Target both have free WiFi. Also most if not all libraries. And Kuhio Grill.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Speaking of which - does anyone know of a place in Puna (or Hilo) where you can go for reliable hi-speed internet?
(Besides McDonalds and Starbucks!)

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Looks like Oceanic cable is hard down. Might be related, Hwy 19 is closed near Honomu with a tree and utility lines down.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
found a notice on UH ITS site confirming PT's comment - cable has been severed 15 mi N of Hilo. Estimated time for repair is 4:00 PM

ETA - just in time to see that it looks like it has been restored already...
Pahoa Home Video has 14km down speeds and is on Hawaiian Telcom DSL. that is always an option if Oceanic is down.
I overheard a wild rumour this morning that Time-Warner being hacked was the cause of an islandwide (or was it kingdomwide?...anyway) internet shutdown.

The tree taking out an Oceanic cable sounds the more plausible.