Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo Airport - highly rated by the BBC!
OK, it's not a formal analysis, and it's just an opinion from one person, but it's not often Hilo is mentioned by the BBC!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35011943

"1. The best US airport is Hilo Airport in Hawaii. Gracious, open to the breezes, with living-room style sofas to relax on and free Hawaiian music and hula dancers! G Dickson"
I Love the Hilo Airport! Nothing like flying home from, say, Las Vegas for the National Open chess tournament, where it's like 106 degrees in June. BOy do I miss the big island!!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Agreed .. Coming home to Hilo Airport is like the proverbial, sailor lost @ sea, who finally senses land before even seeing it ...

aloha,
pog

P.S.
A nice read. Paddling from Ca. to Hawaii http://www.legendinc.com/Pages/Marblehea...lette.html
Jon,

Totally off topic, but your response caught my attention. Your PW username must be something to do with a rook, right? [Wink]
Heh heh Tom ... Maybe he could tell you but then would have to 'check' you.

aloha,
pog
I'm not worried, I count him as a mate.
For some reason that has never repeated itself, the first time I came to the Big Island the cheapest fare was to Hilo instead of Kona. We flew in during a bit of a storm with lightning flashing around the plane and made an approach with a big cross wind. The airport was great of course. Coming from the Great White North in Winter to anywhere in Hawaii is a true blessing and an unbelievable feeling.

Coming in at night to Hilo meant my first experience driving on the Island was going over the Saddle at night (in moderate rain the first half). My wife was somewhat flustered by the poor visibility and winding roads, but I found it quite a lot of fun. Since we bought a cottage on the Island, we've never again found a good rate to fly in to Hilo airport, but that's OK, the Kona airport is also quite nice. It's the nicest smelling airport I've been to, mostly due to the nearby nurseries growing Plumeria in abundance.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
"...the Kona airport is also quite nice. It's the nicest smelling airport I've been to, mostly due to the nearby nurseries growing Plumeria in abundance."

Rekindles childhood memories from the early to mid 70's of being inundated by the intoxicating scent of masses of flowers emanating from the lei stand area of Honolulu airport while there to pick up friends or family.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

OK, it's not a formal analysis, and it's just an opinion from one person, but it's not often Hilo is mentioned by the BBC!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35011943

"1. The best US airport is Hilo Airport in Hawaii. Gracious, open to the breezes, with living-room style sofas to relax on and free Hawaiian music and hula dancers! G Dickson"

They must have been there on one of the Fridays they have hula dancers.

Tom, here is the story behind my screen name of "birdmove". I taught both of our kids to play chess, and helped them get involved in scholastic chess tournaments around the Seattle/Tacoma area. Anyway, when our daughter was about 7-8, we were playing a game of chess. I was obviously winning, when she suddenly made a very illegal move with one of her pieces. She moved the piece in a off the wall manner and took my Queen or something. When I asked her, what the heck kind of a move was that? She replied it was a special move, and announced it was called a "birdmove". That's been my, most of the time screen name ever since at forums, chess sites, etc, etc.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP