Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
owner building
I will be building in May 2005 in Kalapana Sea View Estates. My quetion is. Can one get a permit for septic before pulling permits for main house. Would like to have temp housing onsite. Will be there in Nov. would like to start septic then. Any advice
appreciate

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Hi Wyatt,
Generally the situation is this:

1. The design of the septic system will be governed by the intended house occupancy (size). So it is difficult to develop a permitted septic system without a plan.

2. Normally the septic system plan is attached to the house plan and submitted to the county for building permit and concurrently with the state health department.

3. Also normally the government process has alternatives built into the system. There is likely a process which could be pursued to have a legally permitted septic system prior to a home permit but it is likely to be very cumbersome and time consuming.

4. There is a process to inspect & gain approval on existing unpermitted ISDS (individual sewage disposal system). This involves having the unpermitted system inspected by a licensed civil engineer, plumber or architect and the location, capacity and condition of the system is submitted for approval to the state health dept. One can then take this approval in hand to the building department with the house permit application.

Hope this helps

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Rob,
I kinda figured that might the case. I may just do as you sugested and install and later inspect as existing. Maybe Hire a local plumber to install and latter have that plumber inspect it.
again thanks

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Hey Wyatt - I have a lot in Seaview. We are on Manapua to the left if you are coming in and just behind an older (a bit ran down) brown ranch house. Where is your lot? We are still planning our house. What style do you plan to build? Feel free to e-mail at punatics@msn.com I am sure my husband & I would love to follow your progress and find out the ins & outs of Seaview.

Soon to be a Hawaii resident !!
Atlanta/Pahoa
We are workiing on our lot i Glenwood between Mt View and Volcano. We need to put in a driveway (okay a road really) and need to purchase rock. Anyone have any ideas for us? Best prices? Freebie opportunities? I am interested in all information. Mahalo. Pam

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
The main expense of purchasing rock is the trucking. I have no idea about your site conditions but you could consider this:

Hire an excavator and dig holes (septic, pool, pond, utility trenches) and use the excavated material for your road bed, house site and parking areas. A large excavator can both break up and remove rock and drive over it (wide tracks) and compact.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Unlike much of the island, our lamd is about 9 feet deep in soil. The cost of excavation is pricey. I have been told that they are widening Orchidland Road and looking for places to dump rocks. Anyone know anything about that?

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"