Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive Power outage
Very large areas out of Power. Hawaiian Acres, Hawaiian Beaches/Shores not sure where else.
Okay. Lasted a couple hours and back now. Wonder why it happened. Perhaps strained grid because still no PGV to help power it?

I spent years getting on grid because of troubles with batteries and inefficient panels/ rainy weather unable to charge system. Now after being on grid for 20 years I'm interested in either getting back off or just having back up for when it does go off.

From what I understand photo-voltaic is much more efficient now.
Any input?
Was out from volcano to lower puna.

I have a sudden craving for popcorn..
Wasn't out in Leilani.
Wasn't out in Leilani.

Leilani is "recently maintained", lots of new parts down there.
Off grid, so no loss of power for us in HA, but we did lose our (LTE) Internet connections after a while, and were forced to look away from our phones. Scary!

I'm curious, for anyone with cable/dsl/fiber/T1 and independent power, did those connections drop immediately, after a while, or not at all?
The normal blip u get once every few days is the stupid and lazy operator at the plant not synching the 2 power plants before switching from one to the other. If i had done this while an et on watch i would have been busted down to recruit. Here its normal.

When they loose it all together,they have to link back to the grid ,one parcel at a time so as to not overload the generator..poor planning usually.
Aloha

HPP

HPP
cable/dsl/fiber/T1 and independent power

Copper connections from Telcom have a real uptime requirement and are powered by huge batteries in the switch; the batteries are floated on grid power. I believe the design goal is enough battery to last through a 4-day grid outage.

Remote DSLAMs also have batteries in them, and a connector for portable generator feed.

Telcom fiber isn't subject to the same regulations but is located in the same facility. Mid-span optics are passive, fiber only needs power at each end.

I believe cable is merely grid-powered.

As usual, I didn't notice any outages, I just read about them here.
Apparently some of our cell towers have small battery backups and no functioning automatic generators.
randomq:"I'm curious, for anyone with cable/dsl/fiber/T1 and independent power, did those connections drop immediately, after a while, or not at all?'

The modem (router?) on my Hawaiian Telcom fiber broadband won't work without HELCO power, so yes the connection drops immediately, and I also lose my landline which is now based on the same fiber connection.

Edit: Just realized your question was for off-grid users.