Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dover sole
Does anyone know a place that sells Dover sole, or an equivalent sole? Safeway sold it years ago but have not seen it there for years. I want to cook one of my old favorite recipes, a seafood/crab stuffed sole for a couple of friends, but am having no luck finding the fish. The crab and/or seafood is no problem of course.

Thanks!
Dover sole is considered a good substitute for halibut. I imagine the reverse is true.
If there's no sole available I'd go with tilapia--similar texture. Halibut is much more "meaty". Might try looking at the frozen section of CostULess or Costco.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Thanks for the replies. I agree with Kalianna that halibut is a bit too meaty and think the biggest problem is that the fillets are thick which makes stuffing difficult, but it's a very nice tasting fish. As for tilapia, it looks similar to sole but I find it quite tasteless, but might try it as a practice run and you never know, it might work.

Turbot is the ideal substitute, but like Dover sole, it's a northern Atlantic fish and I've never seen it for sale here.
If you find Halibut you can make a stuffed seafood halibut , just make an slit in the filet and stuff with your filling , then top with a Beurre Blanc Sauce or a Roasted Sundried Tomato & Black Olive Beurre Blanc or whatever sauce you like.

Matt.
there are 2 types of DOVER SOLE... Euro kine aka 'common sole' (Solea solea),
and LeftCoast Cal-Wash kine (Microstomus pacificus) aka 'slime sole'

in the USA the NW coast has 'snotfish/slime sole' iow Dover Sole in USA is rubbish fish... slimy snotty stuff ... if you can find USA Dover, you can usually find Petrole Sole... it is the better one, Safeway wise...
fwiw, I did meat/fish @ safeway for 13 yrs 1980-1990s
and Halibut is just a large sole, same w/ Cal Halibut, sand dabs, flounder, etc...

slime sole aka 'dover sole' ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstomus_pacificus

aloha

more.... Red Snapper on leftcoast is not the same fish as east Coast Red Snapper, its 'rockfish'... and Chilean Seabass is not a bass,... no such thing as fresh Orange Roughy as well, at best it is frozen 2 times as the ships stay at sea for many months at time... the biblical fish, farm raised Tilapia taste as good as the water, not same stuff as the rubbish fish in the Ala Wai Canal.... same w/ catfish and trout, need clean water... aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Thank you bananahead and sukon, good info!