Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
local cataract surgery
Anybody get cataract surgery locally?

Any experience with Dan Driscoll?
Hubby had cataract surgery with Rick Carpenter, immediately put away his glasses and hasn't used them since, about a year now.
Dr Driscoll performed cataract surgery on me. I highly recommend him. The surgery took place at the Hilo Community Surgery Center but I think he now performs surgery at his new office by the Hilo police station.
What did he give you as far as sedation etc? The idea of somebody digging around in my eye doesn't appeal to me.
You are given some medication before the operation but it doesn't knock you out. There was an anesthetist present during both my operations (one for each eye) and they actually ask you if you're OK or if you need more sedation just before and during the operation. Because I was anxious during the first op I did ask for a little extra sedation but for the second one, I didn't need it.

The procedure is painless and quick (about 15 minutes). Although you're awake you can't really see what's going on and don't worry about moving your eye, they have medication and a device to stop that. They also played music in the background, I guess to relax you and keep the medical staff entertained. The light show I experienced during the first operation was tremendous and I actually told them during the procedure that they should be playing Pink Floyd.

If you're are having both you eyes done (they wait a week or two between the operations) I can almost guarantee you'll be straining at the leash to have you other eye fixed. The only other thing I can think of right now is during the evening after the first operation, don't worry if you see weird lights while watching TV or looking at a bright light. It's gone by the second day. I guess it's part of your eye recovering and your brain getting used to being able to see again.
terracore - I just reread the thread below, it was when I was asking about cataract surgery a few years ago. The one thing I misremembered was that the medication doesn't stop your eye from moving, you have to keep looking at a very bright light, but it was easy to do. They also place something on your eye to help the surgeon, but there was no significant discomfort.

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=16823
Thanks for posting. I've had minor surgeries etc before and while I felt some concern going into them it wasn't anything I felt like I wanted drugs for, but the thought of trying to keep my eye steady while somebody is cutting a piece out of it is extra unappealing.

But then I watched a video of an actual cataract surgery with all the chopping and sucking. Big mistake! Juice me up doc, I want the drugs!

They have multi-focal lens implants now that correct both near and distance vision. I hope I'm a candidate for them. I did really well with the multi focal contact lenses until the cataract crapped that up.
I probably should have mentioned that if you're anxious about the surgery then don't watch videos of how it's done! Although I had some anxiety, I actually had major eye surgery in the past for a retinal detachment and retinal tears, so knowing cataract surgery was much less invasive I wasn't so concerned. I can tell you that if you ever have a retinal detachment, don't watch the videos. For a few days after that surgery, I looked as though I'd been in a bar fight. But the doctor saved my sight and something I am ever grateful for.

But please feel reassured that cataract surgery is quick, painless and the results are wonderful. Go ahead and ask for all the drugs you need, they will do that, but if and when you have the second eye done, you'll feel much better and be impatient to have your sight restored.

Are you going with Dr Driscoll?
That is the plan. I've never met him but that is the clinic I've been going to and they seem to have all the latest gadgets. They are the first / only clinic to bring LASIK to the island.
So I assume you've done that test when you stare at a house and picket fence in the distance with a road leading up to it? Whenever I do it I keep saying to myself I need to look up what it's all about, but keep forgetting. I suspect it's something to do with measuring how well your eyes focus.

Dr Driscoll is excellent and has a very good bedside manner. You'll certainly meet him during the whole process.