Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New invasive noxious weed found on Big Island
Keep on the look out.  Photo in the link.  If you see it call it in to the Dept. of Ag or DNLR.  They will dress up in contamination gear and remove it.

Rob

Chromolaena odorata, a noxious and invasive “Devil Weed”, has been discovered for the first time on Hawaiʻi island.
The plant is listed as a Noxious Weed in the state of Hawai’i and is designated as one of the world’s 100 worst invasive species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). An aggressive colonizer of clearings that can also spread into wet forests, devil weed creates an ecological nuisance, creating dense thickets up to six feet in height that impede growth and regeneration of native species. Additionally, devil weed is toxic to livestock and aggressively invades pastures, and has caused severe damage to ranchers and farmers in areas where it has become widely spread.

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2021/...bi-island/
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The Big Island Invasive website specifies lower Maku'u in HPP as a site where it's been found:

... devilweed has been found in Puna at at least two locations  (Leilani Estates and bottom of Maku’u in Hawaiian Paradise Park).
https://www.biisc.org/chrodo/
Lord help us as we clearly cannot help ourselves. What exactly does HDOA do? How hard is it to inspect and control when we have 2 ports and 2 airports?
What exactly does HDOA do?

They manage invasive species for Oahu. Anyone who doubts this need only look at the response to the coconut beetle, which was promptly eradicated because it arrived on Oahu, where the palm trees are critical for tourism. Other pests on other islands (fire ants, coqui frogs, etc) get this response: "we have no idea how it got here".

How hard is it to inspect and control when we have 2 ports and 2 airports?

Impossible without a much larger budget, or so they claim.
(09-07-2021, 02:22 AM)Rob Tucker Wrote: Keep on the look out.  Photo in the link.  If you see it call it in to the Dept. of Ag or DNLR.  They will dress up in contamination gear and remove it.

Rob

Chromolaena odorata, a noxious and invasive “Devil Weed”, has been discovered for the first time on Hawaiʻi island.
The plant is listed as a Noxious Weed in the state of Hawai’i and is designated as one of the world’s 100 worst invasive species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). An aggressive colonizer of clearings that can also spread into wet forests, devil weed creates an ecological nuisance, creating dense thickets up to six feet in height that impede growth and regeneration of native species. Additionally, devil weed is toxic to livestock and aggressively invades pastures, and has caused severe damage to ranchers and farmers in areas where it has become widely spread.

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2021/...bi-island/
Really, someone will remove it for us?  Well shoot, it must be REALLY bad because there are several other noxious, invasive plants being more or less ignored here.
Really, someone will remove it for us?

Yes, here's why:

Sometimes described as the ‘perfect weed,’ devil weed (sometimes written as devilweed), reaches reproductive maturity in as little as 6 months. Each plant can generate as many as 800,000 seeds!
The lightweight seeds are easily windborne, spreading up to 250 feet from the parent plant. By far, the greatest spread is by humans through the accidental movement of seed. Contaminated tools, shoes, clothes, fur, and hair can all contribute to seed movement. Seeds remain dormant yet viable in the soil for more than a year. Devil weed reproduces vegetatively from the crown buds, stem pieces, and root fragments.

https://www.biisc.org/chrodo/
Some day Puna will be reduced to Albezia trees and Devil weed.
(09-07-2021, 08:44 PM)AaronM Wrote: Some day Puna will be reduced to Albezia trees and Devil weed.

Please don't attack me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that albezia, though it presents problems, is nitrogen fixing and also helps build soil.  Just playing Devil(weed)'s advocate....I wonder if there is any upside to our new guest.  Aloha
I wonder if there is any upside to our new guest.

I grow a garden.  I'm weeding all the time so the vegetables I plant will grow.

Now a new plant variety is introduced that produces 800,000 seeds a year, is big, poisonous, and easily spreads 250 feet from the parent.  As an inquisitive person, just asking questions with a sense of wonder, could this new invasive species really be as bad as some "experts" suggest?  Perhaps they exaggerate?  Maybe the plants only produce 750,000 seeds a year and spread a mere 225 feet from the parent.  If it's poisonous but doesn't kill everyone or every living creature it certainly won't affect me personally because I have no underlying conditions.  At least none that I know of at the moment.
(09-07-2021, 09:10 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I wonder if there is any upside to our new guest.

I grow a garden.  I'm weeding all the time so the vegetables I plant will grow.

Me too!  Get yourself a hoop-house and after a while, the weeds almost stop.  Huge tomatoes with no fruit flies.  Biggest organic cucumbers you have EVER seen.   Waaaay less (nearly zero) bugs which has downside when it comes to pollinators but that can be overcome.  Hoop!  Garden on HOTP!