Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millions, Poof
Ironman competition to be held in Utah instead of Kailua-Kona
Government is "keeping us safe" from the killer COVID, it's the only thing that matters, comrade.
I'll be surprised if it comes back.
(09-24-2021, 02:27 AM)Obie Wrote: Ironman competition to be held in Utah instead of Kailua-Kona

I don't think it's as simple, nor as much a loss, as your OP suggests.. By the sound of the article I found on the Trib's website...

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...ilua-kona/

Which, in part, says...

"However, Ironman said today the event will return to the Big Island October 2022 with a two-day race format slated for Oct. 6 and 8, 2022"

It sounds like we are, as is everyone, losing a round via covid, but are gaining a much larger event in it's regular fall time slot on the rebound. So, whereas in the short term we lost in the long run there's more to look forward to, and if that works we'll have that kind of action to look forward to year after year.

Of course, I am biassed by my belief that until everyone world wide is vaccinated tourism is not a good idea. But, no matter, I'd happily trade a race today for two tomorrow. Wouldn't you?
It's a tough call. I'm just grateful that this is one of many issues where my opinion isn't needed.
Bad news, unnecessary IMO, but it will be back. These triathlons are a growing concern, ya know. The Kona event has a rich history and is a desirable location.
I was a triathlete for over a decade training and competing in all distances but devoted most of my time to the Ironman distance.  Over the course of the 10 years I was able to complete 14 Ironman distance triathlons all over the world and have a lot of insight to the race and the company.

No doubt in my mind Ironman will be back to Kona 100%.  The World Championship in Kona is the ultimate goal for the majority of long distance triathletes around the world and they will train almost every day twice a day for years on end trying to ultimately make it to Kona.

The Ironman business model rests almost solely with triathletes trying to make it to Kona.  There is so much history, mysticism, and legend surrounding the event in Hawaii/Kona that moving it somewhere else would crush their business.  Moving it to Utah for this year is a stopgap they had to do since they didn't run it last year.  Another year of not producing some type of World Championship was killing them.

The response form the triathlon community has been "you been to Kona?, I mean Utah"?  No one wants to go to Utah, everyone's dream is to go to Kona.

Ironman has opened up most races held around the world but are respecting the wishes of the local officials as they treat the Kona venue as friendly as possible because they know their business hinges on this location.  The outreach performed here on the Big Island by Ironman is far and away much greater than any of their other locations.  Ironman goes out of their way to keep their relationship good with the Big Island.

Ironman will do their best to stay in Kona forever.
I concede that Kona has more cachet than SLC does.
(09-24-2021, 08:55 PM)AaronM Wrote: I concede that Kona has more cachet than SLC does.

It's going to be held in St. George, 300 miles south of SLC.
100 miles from Vegas! I may have to reconsider my previous statement.