Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fixing salvage title on car?
hi everyone,

do any of you have experience fixing a salvage title on a car? i'm looking at a car that's running no problem, but has a salvage title. i read that hawai'i requires an approved repair shop to both inspect AND repair the car, but the car is already repaired...

anyway, if any of you have experience or tips to share, would love to learn. thank you!
I'm not an expert about this, but I believe you can take it to any state certified mechanic. If they deem it safe to drive, the DMV should be able to help you.

Maybe it is more complicated in this state though....
It has to be an RDS.(Salvage Repair Dealer) There are only 4 on the island. In most cases it's not worth it but you can try.

HAWAII COLLISION CENTER 194 MAKAALA ST HILO HI 96720 LENN T 55 KUKILA ST HILO HI 96720 KEN'S TOWING SERVICE INC
73-5601 MAIAU ST KAILUA KONA HI 96740 AUTO BODY HAWAII
61-3270 MALUOKALANI ST KAMUELA HI 96743 THUNDER ALLEY AUTOMOTIVE LLC
(11-13-2021, 08:14 PM)Obie Wrote: It has to be an RDS.(Salvage Repair Dealer) There are only 4 on the island. In most cases it's not worth it but you can try.
thank you! so i would contact one of these places and ask them to do an inspection? (because the car is already repaired)
You could try.

For some reason punaweb ran the 1st 2 together.

They are Collision Center Hawaii and Ken's Towing.
mk30, let me know how it goes please.
(11-13-2021, 10:51 PM)malahini Wrote: mk30, let me know how it goes please.
i will let you know. i'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow (if my mechanic who is arranging the sale signs off on the car being a good one!) and will call the hilo shops listed above on monday. will post an update then.
If you haven't purchased that car you should wait and make those phone calls. Depending on the extent of damage, all shops may not be licensed to do the repairs. A friend bought a jeep and rebuilt It himself and the only shop that could do the repairs needed was in Kona. They refused to sign off on his repairs. The state of Washington will title a car without verifying the vin so he registered it in Washington and drove It with Washington plates He never left lower Puna and never got pulled over.
Hope he sees this before he/she gets the car...  Sad

I tried to sent them a private message, but I don't see the option to email them from their profile page...