Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
save the mosquitos!
What's the downside with this?  Are they worried about having enough food for the coqui frogs? 

https://bigislandnow.com/2022/07/09/comm...opulation/
Certainty will be the death of us.
Looks eerily similar to genetically modified mosquitos released in florida.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-keys-mo...ed-1587044
State's plan does not involve GMO in any way shape or form, yet someone has managed to spread misinformation, and there are protests.

The part I don't understand is: why would people prefer mosquitos? Have we forgotten about the Dengue Fever scare a few years ago? Do we want our endangered Hawaiian bird species to become extinct? Seems this place could be "more paradise" without mosquitos (fire ants, coconut beetle, etc).
 spread misinformation, and there are protests.

Now where have I heard that before?

why would people prefer mosquitos? 

People don't know what they want.  Take protests and complaints against Mark Zuckerberg on Facebook, for example.
Added note, mosquitoes were not in the islands when Kamehameha and the monarchy ruled the islands, often a point of reference by some for how things should be.
I didn’t see anything about people protesting the eradication of mosquitoes per se. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that it’s better to live with them than without them. Are we fighting misinformation with misinformation?

I think it’s more about not trusting the DLNR to do this without screwing it up. Some might say there is reason to be skeptical.
The highest priorities for the state of hawaii.

• Eradicating feral cat populations (oahu)
  • Eradicating feral chicken populations (oahu)
  • Eradicating feral pigs (big island)
  • Eradicating mosquitos (big island, kauai, maui)
They love nature apparently.
(07-11-2022, 06:09 AM)Space Karen Wrote: The highest priorities for the state of hawaii.

• Eradicating feral cat populations (oahu)
  • Eradicating feral chicken populations (oahu)
  • Eradicating feral pigs (big island)
  • Eradicating mosquitos (big island, kauai, maui)
They love nature apparently.
Apparently they do.  All of those species are threats for causing the extinction of native flora and fauna.
All of those species are threats for causing the extinction of native flora and fauna.

The extinction is going to happen anyway, because DLNR will be too busy with "studies" and "listening sessions" as they attempt to assuage the public.

See also: lava "recovery". People are already moving back and rebuilding while County "gauges the need".