Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United pulling out of Hilo
I just saw this.  Big bad news.  I don't understand the logic.  Every time I've taken the Hilo to LA flight it's been totally full.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-air...lo-hawaii/
Certainty will be the death of us.
Bummer! Probably anticipating the coming recession and tightening their belt...
In all the years that flight was available, I used it once (sigh).
What if - - - 
Mauna Loa erupts.
Lava heads to Kailua Kona, and closes off the airport there.
United will wish it had a gate, or 5, at Hilo.
(10-17-2022, 09:33 PM)kalianna Wrote: I just saw this.  Big bad news.  I don't understand the logic.  Every time I've taken the Hilo to LA flight it's been totally full.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-air...lo-hawaii/

The logic could be that Southwest is planning a mainland flight to Hilo.
"United will wish it had a gate, or 5, at Hilo."

The gates are sitting there unused so they can just come back.
I used to fly in to Hilo to service Western's planes on occasion.
Multiple airlines served Hilo even with 747's in the 1970's but the tourist areas were built on the Kona side while places like the Waiakea Resort Village were allowed to rot into the ground.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34797866...ort-opens/

United was filling their flights with cheap tickets so low yield.

I flew from Pittsburgh to Hilo with 2 stops in October for $1,200.00 First Class.
A ticket on Delta to HNL was $4,300.00 and I would have to buy my own ticket on Hawaiian from HNL to ITO.

The other reason I flew United is I couldn't find a seat On Delta that had a reasonable flight time.
(10-18-2022, 12:56 AM)terracore Wrote: The logic could be that Southwest is planning a mainland flight to Hilo.
Idea  We can only wish. 

Obie got it right, this is a low yield route.  United is methodically dumping their loser flights. 

Fly into LAX? Sorry I didn't support you UAL, but no thanks.
Southwest recently cut back on their Hawaii to mainland service and started an interisland fare war with Hawaiian. That sorta tells me that they're not planning to add any Hilo to mainland flights. The Frau and I used the United flight on a fairly regular basis, and honestly would have paid more for the convenience than they charged. Oh well, now East Hawaii is back to being a backwater in every conceivable way.
East Hawaii is back to being a backwater in every conceivable way.

"Relax, " said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

Welcome to the Hotel Naniloa
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel Naniloa
Any time of year (any time of year)
You can find it here
A friend asked for my help booking a ticket on United from ITO to LAX yesterday.
United doesn't operate their flight on Wednesday's. These are the fares I found:
Wednesday Flights
ITO-HNL-LAX. Economy $538.00 Refundable Economy $2,229.00 First $3,695.00 ITO-HNL on Hawaiian
Thursday's flight
ITO-LAX Economy $199.00 Refundable Economy $259.00 First $699.00

Do you think this might figure into it. People won't buy tickets from Hilo unless they are dirt cheap.