Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s in a Name?
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet”

-Shakespeare 

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/new-off...sland/amp/
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Possibly an April Fool's joke.
Wahine

Lead by example
I could understand if we were called Captain Cook Island and they wanted to change it to a more Hawaiian name, but Hawaii Island is about as Hawaiian as you can get.  What’s the reasoning?  It’s TOO Hawaiian?
This would totally work too. Just like when they renamed Saddle Road to Daniel K. Inouye Highway... or Waimea to Kamuela. The old names were quickly forgotten, tossed into the dustbin of history!

Their numbers are dwindling, but some people still call O'Reilly's in Hilo "Checkers".
Possibly an April Fool's joke.

That does seem like the most probable explanation.  But if so, I wonder, does KHON know that generally April Fools jokes should include some humor?  Like including some weird new names for Hawaii Island in the report?  Or a quick image of the new map?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachmen...i-map1.jpg
How about "the Hawaiian Island formerly known as The Big Island"
ThifkaTBI it is then.
I wish it was an April Fool's joke. But no. It's not. 

The current legal name is "The Island of Hawai'i"

The term, "Big Island" is a connotated nickname with no legal basis or standing.

Kind of like New York's "The Big Apple" or New Orleans' "The Big Easy."

But, alas, we have the "HAWAIʻI BOARD ON GEOGRAPHIC NAMES," made up of the following members:
  • The Chairperson of the Board of Land and Natural Resources
  • The Chairperson of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs
  • The Chairperson of the Department of Hawaiian Homelands
  • The Director of the Office of Planning
  • The President of the University of Hawaiʻi
  • The State Land Surveyor
  • The Director of the Bernice P. Bishop Museum
It would seem to me, that the residents of this island have far more important issues on the table over that of this sheer waste of time and resources.

How does this proposed name change matter benefit ONE sole "Big Island" resident?

And even more importantly, how does this name change benefit ONE sole Native Hawaiian?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Ok, so that would make it "the Hawaiian Island formerly known as The Island of Hawaii" Or THIFKATIOH, pronounced Thif-kat-īoh. Has a nice ring to it doesnʻt it? And makes just as much sense as changing the name of Loihi to Kamaʻehuakanaloa. More syllables is always preferable.
Just make it organic and rooted in the spirit of the people.  HERE, If you are struggling to name something its:

Da Kine

I vote for: Da Kine Island