Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii License Plate
A short time ago, the State said they were going to redesign the Hawaii State Rainbow License Plates.

Then, they decided to keep the rainbow design and just start recycling the letters/numbers from plates issued decades ago.

Now, there is a new bill being discussed to add the 'okina to HAWAI'I on the plates:

New Hawaii license plates could look different in 2025 (msn.com)

But having said all that, I just heard about this new plate to be offered later this year:

The "shaka" plate!

Shaka Hawaii DMV Plates - Project Shaka

I'm going to have to debate turning in my Volcano Plates for these!!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
LMAO ..Talk about first world, ( narcissistic ) delema.
I don't care what my license plate looks like. As long as it's legal I'm good to go. If you have legitimate volcano plates, good for you, but I see those as a money grab. It's like having personalized plates. Why bother?

(04-09-2024, 08:58 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:LMAO ..Talk about first world, ( narcissistic ) delema.

No one here is being narcissistic other than in your little world of make-believe.
"If you have legitimate volcano plates, good for you, but I see those as a money grab."

We have three vehicles - all with the volcano plates - even sequentially numbered!

"It's like having personalized plates. Why bother?"

Because it turns a necessary evil into an inexpensive fun thing to do! And, as the case with the Volcano Plates, is a donation to the National Parks. 

And further, as my grandson says, "they look cool!"

At any event, I am surprised that there is no specialty plate offered from a consortium of the telescope operators on Mauna Kea celebrating their contribution to astronomy. That's one plate I'd get for sure!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
That's an interesting idea. I'll mention it but don't see how it will work. Unlike the National Parks, the observatories are mostly independent. There's the Center for Maunakea Stewardship which is a new organization but don't think many are ready to buy plates from them. Not that they have some to sell.
I'm not into personalized plates, but when I was in Alaska I decided to pimp out my 1973 Omega with custom plates, and surprisingly OMEGA was available, so I got it. In Alaska, custom plates were a small one-time fee, and easy to order online. I'm not sure what the process or cost is like in Hawaii, but I'm sure the bureaucracy tax makes it prohibitively expensive for the average person.

I had big plans like I was going to finish restoring the car and having a Ω painted on the hood to complete the transformation, but sadly I started growing up instead, and wound up giving the car away when it became too expensive to keep running. But I showed them. I showed everybody! I never finished growing up.
Yeah! We may be old but weʻre immature.
"But I showed them. I showed everybody! I never finished growing up."

"Yeah! We may be old but weʻre immature."

I related to these words soooo much! Mahalos for the snorting laughs these caused me...still snickering. Along the lines of, "I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up." Awesome!
The shaka plate looks cool, but the charity behind it (id8.org) seems kinda weird. Like they can't decide if they should be making movies, teaching kids how to start businesses, or writing financial forcasting software. Like someone with ADHD cracked the code that there's always free money for charities in Hawaii, so just do all your random stuff under a charity...

Can literally any organization get custom Hawaii plates?
(04-10-2024, 03:19 PM)randomq Wrote: The shaka plate looks cool, but the charity behind it (id8.org) seems kinda weird.  Like they can't decide if they should be making movies, teaching kids how to start businesses, or writing financial forcasting software.  Like someone with ADHD cracked the code that there's always free money for charities in Hawaii, so just do all your random stuff under a charity...

Can literally any organization get custom Hawaii plates?

Let's proceed by assuming the answer is yes. 

Who's going to design the Punaweb plates?

I'm not sure how the process works... like design 4 or 5 and we vote on which one to curse the roads with?