Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Owned Car?
So, while out shopping today, I came across this "State" Plated Car. 

It appears to be a 1997ish vintage. 

Namely, a Lexus ES 300. Which was considered a top-of-the-line luxury car.

It was about 35k brand new in 1997. Which in today's dollars is about $68k.

At first, I was kind of angered. 

But then, I realized that car is 27 years old. I’d say they got their monies worth!!!

But then again, that license plate looks almost brand new. I can't imagine the State is buying used 27-year-old Lexus' as a fleet car.

But then again, even though I could not get a close view of the driver, maybe it's a Puna car and they managed to steal a State License Plate???

Who knows - but that sure is something kind of strange!

ETA: No visible current safety inspection tag either?!?!?!?

“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Hmm, do any other agencies besides police get vehicle stipends? Or police employees besides officers?
No idea, but I do know state agencies do sometimes buy used cars.
Lotsa older US Government plated cars over by Sears.

All EVs are state owned.
"Hmm, do any other agencies besides police get vehicle stipends? Or police employees besides officers?"

I don't know if there are other agencies that pay stipends for cars, but regardless they would only have a regular Hawaii License Plate. The one depicted in my picture is a plate only issued to State owned vehicles.

"No idea, but I do know state agencies do sometimes buy used cars."

That could be. But a 27-year-old Lexus? And the absence of a Safety Inspection Tag - or even remnants of an old one is interesting.

(05-02-2024, 07:00 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Lotsa older US Government plated cars over by Sears.

All EVs are state owned.

Well, if the State owns all the EV's they sure owe me a hell of a lot of money!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(05-02-2024, 07:31 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: "Hmm, do any other agencies besides police get vehicle stipends? Or police employees besides officers?"

I don't know if there are other agencies that pay stipends for cars, but regardless they would only have a regular Hawaii License Plate. The one depicted in my picture is a plate only issued to State owned vehicles.

That could be. But a 27-year-old Lexus? And the absence of a Safety Inspection Tag - or even remnants of an old one is interesting.

elepaio pid=' dateline=\'1714633212' Wrote:Lotsa older US Government plated cars over by Sears.

All EVs are state owned.

Well, if the State owns all the EV's they sure owe me a hell of a lot of money!

I don't know. I've noticed many state-owned vehicles without safety stickers. I agree the car looks odd, but also note the Hawaii state says privately and commercially owned vehicles need stickers. I haven't found out if state vehicles need one.

"With the exception of certain commercial vehicles, most privately owned vehicles are issued a safety inspection certificate that is valid for one year. The following documents must be presented to the safety check inspector" - https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/departments...nspections

If, arguendo, state-agencies don't need safety stickers, then what happens when their employees drive the vehicle for private use? I'd like to know the answer to that.
"I'd like to know the answer to that."

Well, I went and looked up the Statutes!

According to what that says, ALL registered owners of any vehicle/trailer except those under motor carrier laws must be inspected EXCEPT:

Federal Government Owned Vehicles - except there is a requirement to have a certificate saying a similar inspection is done;
Military Vehicles - only able to be sold to the military, and;
Farm equipment 

Don't know if that answers the question, and maybe there is another law of exemption somewhere else, but this sure is interesting!

§19-133.2-2 Scope of chapter.

(a) This chapter shall apply to all motor vehicles and trailers except those which are subject to the motor carrier safety law, part XI, chapter 286, [Hawaii Revised Statutes] HRS.

(b) This chapter shall also apply to:
  • (1) The registered owner of any motor vehicle or trailer operated on the public highways in the State;
  • (2) Every person who operates or parks any motor vehicle or trailer on a public highway in the State;
  • (3) Every official inspection station; and
  • (4) Every person who conducts official vehicle inspections.
© This chapter shall not apply to: §19-133.2-2 133.2-6
  • (1) Any vehicle owned and operated by an agency of the federal government, provided that such vehicle, when operated on the public highways carries a certificate within the vehicle showing that the vehicle has been inspected and certified under an equivalent periodic inspection program operated by the federal government;
  • (2) Military vehicles owned and operated by the armed forces of the United States which are manufactured for, and sold directly to the armed forces in conformity with military contractual specifications; and
  • (3) Farm tractors, implements of husbandry, and special mobile equipment temporarily drawn, moved, or otherwise propelled on the public highways and which are not required to be registered and licensed.
So who's gonna make the citizen's arrest? I think we should prioritize the shady people that obscure their plates first though...
Maybe it was an asset forfeiture vehicle. The government can seize, and use (or sell) any property they believe was used in a crime, even without a case going to trial. The supreme court has previously ruled this was constitutional, though there are pending cases that could change that.
"Maybe it was an asset forfeiture vehicle."

That could be the most logical explanation terracore. 

I also noticed that there is no expiration (Month/Year) sticker on the plate either.