Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau Farmers Market reported to be closing
Vendors at the Keaau Farmer's Market are reporting on social media that they are being evicted and this will be their last month there.  They were previously located at the (IMHO nicer) location across Keaau-Pahoa Rd and were evicted to make way for the Keaau Long's (CVS) and moved to their current location somewhat hidden behind the Shell gas station in the corner of the parking lot near McDonalds.

I don't have any other information but a lot of the social media posts are blaming "The Shipmans".   No idea if there is any accuracy to that.
We all know who to blame. Its just gonna take a little longer for a few..To admit, they were wrong.

# never forget
(05-05-2024, 07:17 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:We all know who to blame. Its just gonna take a little longer for a few..To admit, they were wrong.

# never forget

Oh my! I can’t wait to hear who really is to blame for this! And since it’s with the infamous #neverforget hashtag, generally used for the marking of various national or world wide tragedies, namely 9/11, the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor, etc., this real culprit must be a huge one!

Can’t wait to hear who really is to blame!!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Back to topic:

"Vendors at the Keaau Farmer's Market . . ."

I saw that on SM also and it's concerning. My fave fresh produce vendor is there, one that uses almost entirely local farmers and backyard growers. Not the Costco resale stuff that are at so many booths and Farmer's Markets. Will have to check in with them when I go this week and see where they might end up.

Only a couple of vendors from the previous location mentioned (now Longs) made it over to this new place by the Shell station which Shipman provided for them. (Sadly, most were never seen again, not even at the Hilo or Makuu markets.) Shipman does own most of the land in that area. Must have new big plans for that lot. $$$ . . . 30 days is not that much of a relocation notice for someone that makes their living and supports their family with such a business. But no doubt their "lease" is very clear on vacating rules.
Well, you know, inflation. How are the wealthy commercial landowners gonna eat if they can't screw over small businesses?
https://www.kitv.com/news/produce-vendor...e24d9.html

KEAAU, Hawaii (Island News) -- Produce vendors at Keaau Village Marketplace received short notice that they will have to vacate a parking lot that has been their home base for years.

Produce sellers, who provide a link from local farmers to consumer in the Puna district, must relocate by June 1.

Those showing up at the market on Tuesday were taken aback by the news.

"Disappointed, surprised," one Mountain View resident said who frequents "Conchita's Produce" stand.

The produce stand owner, along with fellow vendor across the lot, Timotea "Remy" Velasco, have been with the marketplace when it was located on the other side of Keaau Pahoa Road years ago.

"I'm the first one to stay there over by Long's before, and then over here. Almost six years over here," Remy told Island News of her nearly 20 year tenure with the market.

This is the second time the group has had to relocate.

"It's not in enough time. They could have at least given us three months," one vendor who did not wish to be identified said.

The section of land where the market is located has been subleased out and is a small part of a larger commercial property. Customers told Island News they hope the produce sellers will stay close by.

"The service is good, people are really friendly and they're helpful. They have the best vegetables," said one customer who says she is committed to follow the vendors wherever they end up next.

"I hope they resolve something and if they do have to move, it's close by. It's just not fair to them," regular customer Geno Arriola said who lives nearby in HPP.

The ownership company W.H. Shipman told Island News that it is committed to helping the produce vendors find a new location to operate in the community. Many customers wrote their numbers down Tuesday, wanting to be contacted when a new location is decided upon.

"We are connecting with local farmers through them, and so we get most of our produce here. So it is disappointing to hear that they're leaving, and I hope that someone in the county organizes somewhere else for them that would be appropriate," Kamiti of Kurtistown said.

W.H. Shipman would not detail future plans for the lot, but described the vendors as playing a "vital role" in the community. The real estate ownership group added that it has reached out to the individual vendors to help secure an alternative location before June 1, hoping to avoid any disruption in business.

The company also explained that it had leased out the parking lot section with the vendors all operating under a sublease. W.H. Shipman told Island News that the lessor decided to give short notice to vacate, though that person had been notified prior to May.
Thanks for the link and news story terracore!

"W.H. Shipman would not detail future plans for the lot, but described the vendors as playing a "vital role" in the community. The real estate ownership group added that it has reached out to the individual vendors to help secure an alternative location before June 1, hoping to avoid any disruption in business.

The company also explained that it had leased out the parking lot section with the vendors all operating under a sublease. W.H. Shipman told Island News that the lessor decided to give short notice to vacate, though that person had been notified prior to May."

So - Shipman leases the property to either a John Doe person or company, who then subleases the property back to each vendor.

Shipman notifies the John Doe person or company prior to May 1, but the John Doe person or company does not notify the actual tenants until May 1st.

I wonder why the John Doe person or company would do that?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(05-10-2024, 06:19 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: ...I wonder why the John Doe person or company would do that?
It must be TomK or Joe Biden. Elepaio will clarify shortly.  Big Grin
I heard from someone who used to go there and now goes to one of the several stands along the highway across from or near HPP that the Keaau stand's prices are higher.
(05-10-2024, 07:26 PM)garymatt Wrote: I heard from someone who used to go there and now goes to one of the several stands along the highway across from or near HPP that the Keaau stand's prices are higher.

I'm just speculating, but from appearances and a couple of social media comments have suggested that some of the highway vendors aren't paying any rent, so can charge lower prices (either they own the property or a relative does).

This is kind of indicative of where the economy is heading-  people can't afford rent or hourly wages, so everything is moving to road stands and food trucks where rent is cheap or free and family works for free.  "Too big to fail" companies like Walmart never have problems staying in business because they control the supply chains and set prevailing minimum wages.  Small businesses that aren't the road-side kind and/or can't accept EBT don't really have a "place" anymore.  Or if they do, that place is shrinking and getting outcompeted.  

Starting wage at Taco Bell in Hilo is $14.25 now, which is above minimum wage.  Also they don't have any lines at their drive-through lane anymore and an ingredient-lean fast-food burrito is almost $8.00 with no sides and no drink.  Not sure why their tacos are so much cheaper... maybe because don't have to pay someone to roll it up?