Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP cockfight
Iʻm surprised someone hasnʻt already posted about this.  From todayʻs Tribune Herald:

ʻA woman and two men were arrested Saturday afternoon during what police say was a cockfight raid on the Kaloli Drive end of the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision in Puna."

I havenʻt seen this anywhere else yet.  Alleged perps have been released pending further investigation.  
Yeah, every year or two the cops do something like this to give the appearance that they care about enforcing the relevant laws. The rest of the time they look the other way while this particular element of the local thug culture flourishes.
I was wondering what part off Kaloli as it's miles long. Seems rather bold on an acre lot in a populated area. But of course, nothing really ever gets done to stop or deter this. Slap on the hand maybe. The article said 50 people were in attendance. The attendees always just walk away, who equally support this local "sport". Of course I am jaded and biased with my new neighbor rooster, ehm er "Chickens", farm next door.
(05-21-2024, 11:06 PM)Kiana Wrote: I was wondering what part off Kaloli as it's miles long. Seems rather bold on an acre lot in a populated area. But of course, nothing really ever gets done to stop or deter this. Slap on the hand maybe. The article said 50 people were in attendance. The attendees always just walk away, who equally support this local "sport". Of course I am jaded and biased with my new neighbor rooster, ehm er "Chickens", farm next door.

There are two huge ones on, I think its, 13th. It's the street with the well hidden storage facility on the corner of Kaloli.  It's just a stubby dead end street but has the warehouse, and at least two very menacing looking concentrated rooster operations (CRO) facilities.  If the breeze is in your direction it's bad. Those places stink to high heaven.  But hay it's agriculture!
equally support this local "sport".

At some point we stopped chasing accused law breakers across the lava until they could outrun pursuers to the City of Refuge.
We still let children ride in the back of open pickup trucks.
It must be a fine line.
I was trained to perform animal cruelty and neglect investigations, and blood sports was one of the main components (usually cock and dog fighting). Most of us in the class worked for humane societies, there were a few who were gun-carrying law enforcement officers, but most of us had a narrow scope of law enforcement. The first lesson they taught us for both blood sports and Satanic rituals was that whatever they were doing to the animals was the tip of the iceberg. In blood sports, gambling was the draw but any organized crime event is likely to have other elements of organized crime: Drugs, weapons, stolen goods, prostitution, etc. And that members of local law enforcement were frequently going to be involved on the crime side (sometimes indirectly via relatives, associates, etc). And that made them hard nuts to crack because if there was an investigation the criminals usually had inside information about it. What they don't count on is some Barney Fife humane society employee with limited interaction with local law enforcement bumbling their way into their sphere, but it happens. On the mainland most types of organized crime including blood sports has an interstate component, so they recommended that the FBI be one of the first points of contact when any blood sport investigation was beginning to turn out to be the real deal "before you get killed for doing your job". Basically- conduct the investigation up to the point where you establish these things are probably occurring, and then call in the organized crime experts or else risk becoming a victim.

Many of the fighting cocks raised on this island are shipped out. None of the airlines will transport adult roosters because they don't want the blood on their hands. So they are shipped via USPS. Think about that- the biggest transportation player for Hawaii blood sports is a quasi-Federal government agency.
The title of this thread would make a perfect Emily Litella sketch!

"Oh, that's very different. Never mind!"
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
"So they are shipped via USPS. Think about that- the biggest transportation player for Hawaii blood sports is a quasi-Federal government agency."

I had read a few months back, somewhere, that a Congress person or two (don't remember who but it wasn't our elected ones) were going to put forward a law making it illegal to mail or ship roosters, as one way to crack down a bit. Apparently cock fighting is very big in Louisiana also, one of the handful of states where it is a misdemeanor, like Hawaii!

We shall see if this comes to pass. Haven't heard another word since that article.
Too bad Hawaii can't criminalize blood sports and legalize cannabis. Then all the rooster farms could start growing some nice quiet weed.
"Too bad Hawaii can't criminalize blood sports and legalize cannabis. Then all the rooster farms could start growing some nice quiet weed."

Amen.

And there would be a nice fragrance from time to time. :-)