Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Loses Again: Puna 0 Hilo 4
On May 20, 2008, the County Council met to vote on Bill 276 which would have placed on the General Election Ballot a proposed County Charter Amendment that would have the Redistricting Commission revise the Council Districts with new population data that is available. The population growth of Puna would certainly mean that Puna would have two council seats on the County Council and a stronger voice.

This bill would have given the voters a chance to either accept of reject the proposed amendment to the County Charter. Unfortunately, Bill 276 could not get the necessary votes to pass it on to the voters in November. A 2/3 vote of the County Council was necessary. It missed by one vote.

Bill 276: Initiates a Charter Amendment to Article III, Legislative Branch, County Council, Section 3-17, of the Hawai‘i County Charter 2000 (2006 Edition), Relating to the County Reapportionment Commission, Amending Section 3-17 in its Entirety, Renaming it the Redistricting Commission, and Establishing Appropriate
Redistricting Criteria. {The proposed amendment replaces the language of the present Section 3-17 in its entirety and renames the section, “County Redistricting and the Redistricting Commission”.}; PWIRC-67.

FAILED DUE TO THE FOLLOWING VOTE (2/3 VOTE REQUIRED):

AYES: Council Members Ford, Jacobson, Pilago, Yagong, and
Chair Hoffmann – 5.
[Smile]

NOES: Council Members Higa, Ikeda, Naeole, and Yoshimoto – 4.
[V]

ABSENT: None.

EXCUSED: None.

I can understand the Hilo Councilmen voting against Bill 276 because it would mean that one of their districts would be reconfigured along with Ka'u. Our Ka'u Councilman voted in favor of the measure but our Puna Councilwoman voted against Bill 276 that would have given the voters an opportunity to decide.

I am starting a petition so we can get enough signatures to place the Redistricting issue on the ballot so voters can decide. I need your "kokua" to make this happen....We have a big mountain to climb and I believe in Puna and "Keeping Puna Pono". If you would like to kokua in gathering signatures, please contact me at: kale4puna@gmail.com.

Malama Aina,
Kale Gumapac

There is great urgency on this matter...if it does not get on the ballot in November...then we will have to wait until the next election in 2 years. Puna cannot wait another 2 years to have another voice on the County Council...

Malama aina,
Kale Gumapac
Come on Kale... do you think they really want to give ANY power to Puna? [Wink]

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
Interesting.

An obvious question might be what basis Emily Naeole applied in voting no. Puna is her district. Is she voting with Hilo on this or can she offer some other logic? I have emailed Emily's office to ask for the rationale for this vote.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, you asked a question that many people are asking. Should the next question be, "What has our Puna County Council member brought home to Puna in the last 2 years?"

Kale,
Is this an HC Charter Article XI Citizen initiative?
[?]
quote:
Originally posted by Kale4Puna

Rob, you asked a question that many people are asking. Should the next question be, "What has our Puna County Council member brought home to Puna in the last 2 years?"

If it's OK, how about an answer to the first question, first?
Lest Rob's very good point is lost.
Any vote by any elected official needs to be clearly explained to any citizen who wants to know.
"brought home"?
$? or something else?
While I have not been keeping a running tally of District expenditure by my Council member (have you, Kale?), I do recall a good bit of $ getting sent this way. Simple way for the doubtful to find out -- look at the CRF$, look at budget amendment$, look at capital funding $, etc. and see. Then dark accusations are replaced by putting light on fact.

Rather than get drawn further into addressing negative conjecture I'll put a separate thread about this...there is a lot on the $ in/out of Puna to talk about.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Interesting.

An obvious question might be what basis Emily Naeole applied in voting no. Puna is her district. Is she voting with Hilo on this or can she offer some other logic? I have emailed Emily's office to ask for the rationale for this vote.

Simple rationale that I can think of... Is Naeole knows that if another Puna rep were on the Council... then more funding would come out Puna's way.

Thus, with more funding... would come more people... something many Native Hawaiians are very against.

-------
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

.... .do recall a good bit of $ getting sent this way. Simple way for the doubtful to find out -- look at the CRF$, look at budget amendment$, look at capital funding $, etc. and see. Then dark accusations are replaced by putting light on fact....

Dr. W -

Where else would her CRF's go to... outside of her district? What has she brought in besides the CRF funding that is now getting shrunk?

-------
Kale,

Let's just cut to the chase here.

You have done nothing but attack, attack, attack and let on like Councilperson Naeole is causing the sky to fall on Puna.

You have not laid out a positive perspective and plan of your own.
Only negative put downs.

Perhaps you have nothing of your own to offer. At this point, that is legitimate observation for me or any other voter.

Do you wish to put out the message that all Kale Gumapac can do is bitch about other people's real or imagined shortcomings? That is the image you are projecting.

Did it occur to you that you are digging your self a great big hole in which to bury your (obviously very exalted) political ambitions?

Get positive or get out.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park