Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safarik vs Naeole
Just a thought, should Kenoi win the Mayors race, knowing his views on Wheelabrator, ect. Who do you think would better represent the Puna area and not be persuaded into his way of thinking?
Hmmm... Nobody wants to touch this one. In fact, most of us who voiced an opinion on the County Council District 5 contest here on Punaweb supported candidates who did not make the runoff. I voted for Wayne Joseph, FWIW.

So who do we vote for now? The incumbent, Emily Naeole, almost torpedoed the Puna Community Development Plan, threw a pencil in a meeting, called another member of the Council a donkey, and has changed her mind (and story) on too many issues to recount. Most of the ethical charges against Ms. Naeole have gone nowhere, but there is still one pending, IIRC. The challenger and previous incumbent, Gary Safarik, managed to badly alienate a great many people who tried to deal with him by his reportedly condescending attitude and occasional outright belligerence. (Several people I know and trust have experienced this first hand.) Mr. Safarik says he has learned his lesson and will listen in the future.

Some choice, eh? I'm still hoping somebody arranges a debate between these two to give us a closer look, but so far nothing seems to be in the works. Failing that, I am leaning toward Mr. Safarik simply because he did seem able to bring a few concrete improvements to the district during his tenure. Ms. Naeole has been very approachable and nice to me in several conversations I have had with her, but I am not convinced she is capable of adequately representing us or getting anything done.

Cheers,
Jerry
Has anyone contacted Gary Safarik about holding a talk story session, to try and resolve some of the doubts that Puna residents have. I was impressed with the way he handled himself on KHBC ( Myna Bird) Monday mornings talk story/issues of the Puna area, very knowledgeable. It ran for about a year, ended because of his run for County Council, he did mention, that he had made mistakes, but has changed! My concern, we have two choices, it is vitally important we elect someone who will represent us to the best of their ability. The way the economy is, we cannot waste time with Council bickering between themselves because of personality issues. Puna deserves better than that.
Gary Safarik lied to me. If you want particulars, email me. kahnlanger@gmail.com .

I wouldn't trust him to hold a broken stick.
He has spent the past two years trying to re-invent himself.
He spent NO TIME on the PCDP.
Made NO amends to all the people he messed with.

His radio show was part of his re-invent Gary Campaign.

All talk, but no participation in anything this community has done in the past 2 years.
Beware.
Perhaps the reason of the low profile, was for (http://hunterbishop.com/journal/2006/10/...crash.html) Gary and his wife to heal over the tragic loss of their son. Everyone screws up some time, the question is, do we learn from these experiences! I am in no position to judge anyone, because of mistakes I've made, but I also believe in second chances. (http://hunterbishop.com/journal/2008/8/2...forum.html) Question still is, if Kenoi, who has strong support from the local community, becomes Mayor (Heaven forbid[Sad]) who will better represent Puna and stand, up to pressure from Kenoi and his supporters over issues! Kenoi's view on the Wheelabrator, and the fact the company still owns land in West Hawaii, Jacobson out of the picture, there is no guarantee this will stay a dead issue.
Can we "write in" someone else? Is this possible?
I gotta admit that this selection is sinking in....

1. Emily does not listen and does not know what she is doing. She is rude and antagonistic to anyone who does not kiss her butt and sing her praises. We really do not need any more of this.

2. Gary I can have a conversation with at least and he knows what he is doing. Whether I can trust him again remains to be seen. To keep him on track we will need to keep in the loop with him. That is partially what Friends of Puna's Future is for (www.fopf.org).

I guess I know what I have to do.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Naeole signed the Petition today at farmers market in support of Banning GMO on Taro and Coffee.

Something I doubt Safarik would do.

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
Hmm another mark against Emily [Sad]

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
quote:
Originally posted by hikatz

Wheelabrator, and the fact the company still owns land in West Hawaii

huh?

Where does Wheelabrator own land in West Hawaii?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park