Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
californiazation of puna
i don't know who opened the floodgates, but puna has been found. people are coming in droves and in the process they are ruining what they are coming here for. prices have doubled,tripled,quadrupled in the past year. soon locals won't be able to afford to live or buy here,just like what they've done to maui. i knew sooner or later it was inevitable, but was hoping for the later. and the traffic keeps reminding me of what i got away from. paradise has been ruined. and with many of these folks comes the "mainland" attitude. one can only hope that we get one of those famous 3 month rains, maybe that will slow the tide, lol!

Regarding my staement about gays. I have the right to my own opinion. Wht should I RETHINK as you put it. To satisfy you perhaps? Im not religious but in the scheme of things it is un natural for two of the same sex to be a couple. Wether its god or its extraterrestrial or plain science that created us, it is clearly obvious that man and woman are meant not man and man or woman and woman! How could procreate? Women have parts that men do not have and vice versa for a reason. Yes I think its a sickness and Im not changing my views as they are MY views. Ill respect yours if you respect mine. There just plain sickos!!!

frank battaglia
april, i agree with your assessment, mella, i used "californiazation" as a term for the "mainland" mentality, not as a slur from where you have come from (even though alot of the people coming here with buckets of $ are from california)aloha.

aloha, mella,
Nice to meet you and thank you for the kind comment. I try to be level-headed. I'm a work in progress... doing my best to think, speak and act with my heart and temper my emotions with intelligence and rationality.
Perhaps we will meet in Hawaii!

april
april
unfortunately theres no filtering system here so i will just have to not read any comments from oceandreamer....theres no aloha in that person's comments-pretty sad considering what puna and people living in puna is all about live and let live!

I just registered and checked in here for the first time. I recently moved to Puna so this was a reasonable step up from the Konaweb - or so I thought. Are you guys out of your heads? How in the world is this lengthy exchange about gay lifestyles an appropriate topic for this forum? There isn't one bit of aloha in any of it.

April,
Just thought this thread needs some positive vibes to counterbalance the negativity that sometimes rears its ugly head under the banner of free speech. I support free speech and it's virutally impossible to offend me. Like you, nothing in this thread offended me. It's just the opinions of a person I will never know or understand.
Now here comes the positive part...After reading your words I found something that made the thread worth it. And that is, that my wife and I would love to get to know you someday. We respect not only your openness, but the way you structure and communicate your thoughts. You are a wise, reflective and compassionate person, the kind of person we would be honored to have as a friend. No doubt we might disagree on some topics and issues, but that's the beauty and fun of talking story, right? I have so many opinions that I'm quite sure would bore the hell out of other forum members. And who really cares about my opinions, anyway? I'm just a small fish in this wondrous land we call Puna. I'll keep my humble opinions to myself unless someone really wants to know - or unless it contributes to what I believe this forum is about: helping other folks survive and find fulfillment in Puna.
Keep posting, and hope to meet you soon!
In the end, aloha trumps negativity every time.
Aloha nui to all!

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Well looks like Rob plans to start deleting hate filled post. Good. Maybe none of us will need blood pressure pills now Smile I have just decided to ignore oceandreamer unless he has something positive or useful to say. Making a negative comment isn't the worst think and everyone has a right to his/her own opinion but spewing hate just isn't aloha. Kind of funny that oceandreamer thinks of himself as the mayor of aloha but doesn't have a clue as to what it means. I try to imagine how many folks would have liked to post on here but shy away becasue of these nasty post. I like Konaweb and read it daily but prefer this board becasue we can discuss things that are a little too political for konaweb. I think most of us here can discuss different opinions without being nasty. Mella, I saw your post on Kweb about this issue and I hope you keep posting here. I understand why you feel like not posting here, I guess I got over it after the whole "gayrage and gayrilla" post. That was what prompted me to start the thread about an ignore button. Since we can't have one I am just making my own. Just not reading post by oceandreamer or any of alias he come up with. The alias are pretty easy to figure out.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I am soooooo happy to see all the support for positive communication. This forum has been fun for me to share on and I have already met and am looking forward to meeting so many from here. It is a great place to share the wins and losses, the ups and downs, the successes and failures of moving to Puna. I sure learned a lot reading about other people's adventures before I bought and moved here. Now it is fun to share my own experiences, and to read and continue to learn from everyone doing similar things.

Keep these positives coming. If there are any among us who don't get ALOHA just ignore them and hopefully they will fall away. It can be hard to do but is worth the reward of all the wonderful positive people we are all meeting here.

Maybe we can plan another gathering for August. The June one was fun.. Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
as a gay man of course I'm offended by ocenadreamer's coments. Coming from Seattle he should know better. But I have faced ridicule all my life for who I love, i'm not going to let the rants of bigots ruin my day. I have found such love acceptance from so many locals in puna for both me and my partner that I know that love and acceptance is the norm. It is the spirit of aloha that draws us to such a spiritual and wonderful part of the world.