Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGV gets grading permit
Ha, ha snork. Some of us here are tapping that fusion engine in the sky and living off-the-grid and not waiting for Santa or PGV or Hellco to come along and solve our problems for us.

“Santa will be along shortly to solve all our problems...”
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

Chem- “My own deeply-held opinion is that your grandchildren are F'd with a capitol F - their most likely outcomes are that they will die of starvation... or warfare fighting over the last scraps of available resources.”

Did you write that on all your Christmas cards?

I'm going to the on-line copyright office and getting dibs on a Christmas card that says:

Seasons Greetings from Hawaii, the First Place to Starve when Everything Falls Apart
Seasons Greetings from Hawaii, the First Place to Starve when Everything Falls Apart

OK Chunkster, but I've got dibs on the yard sign portion of the market:

.___________________
|Will Fight For Coconuts|
..............|
..............|
..............|
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The pentane is used in a closed system so they can use waste heat ( when the water gets below 212 deg no more steam) but it’s still hot enough to boil the pentane ( boils at about 70 deg ) then run that thru another turbine. It’s actually quite efficient. We could have cheap clean power if the PUC wasn’t so twisted
F'd with a capitol F

OMG, and this started as a discussion of road access across the flow...

I would have thought the whole geothermal right or wrong thing would be done.. settle.. as in why would anyone argue against a none-CO2-emitting, clean, renewable, and abundant, energy source?

I have always found geothermal as a neighbor to be questionable. Especially the older, original, open system that ended up with their waste products vented, poured, into the atmosphere. But with a closed system, and no immediate neighbors to be or not to be compatible with AND that elephant (climate change) in the room what is the problem?

The whole good neighbor bad neighbor thing is pau. Put to bed, over. Pele has spoken and she, obviously, has cast her vote for geothermal. Does anyone want to contest that? Really?

The neighbors are gone. Does anyone believe the plan is to put it all back together and go about our lives? Does anyone believe Lanipuna Gardens is going to return to what it once was? The east side of Leilani Estates? Or is this a turning point, one in which we, collectively, governmentally, realize we need land use policies more in keeping with the nature of the land? And, if so, what is the nature of the land? Bedroom communities built in a known danger area? Give me a break.

When put into perspective, a perspective in which we are all, F'd with a capitol F, if climate scientists are to be believed (and I believe them) then geothermal is a godsend, and I am sorry but it is time for folks that what to shake their sticks and beat their drums to go somewhere else to find a cause to rally behind.

I am not saying we should put "all our eggs in one basket" or anything near as drastic as such. But with solar (my bet for the future) still in its infancy I think we have a gold mine right here in our lowly end of the state. The end that everyone else would like to avoid, write off, after all what has Puna done for them? We don't need our politicians crying in their soup about poor little ol' Puna (did anyone else see Joy at the Grand Rally this year?) if geothermal were to become a major, rather than minor, player in fulfilling our energy needs.

Geothermal isn't the way most here would have hoped it would go. But come on, we need a non-CO2-emmiting energy source now. Immediately. One that matches our needs. One that matches our current grid based delivery system. One that is scalable to our growing demand. One that can come online and stay online 24/7. One that can bridge the gap between fossil fuel (past) and solar (future) that isn't nuclear (current non-CO2). And besides, Pele has spoken, what more do you need to know?

And yeah, if you got your own, make your own, self contained power, right on! But any suggestion that that system is ready to go on an island wide basis, and ready to go now, and cool enough to be adopted by all, you are fooling yourself. The answers we need are so much bigger, so much more immediate, that geothermal, and ours specifically, is as I said, a godsend. As such one can ask.. for the sake of everyone please set aside the differences and help all concerned embrace this obvious gift of a realistic alternative to our dependency on fossil fuels..

Meanwhile.. back to my original point... made easier in this thread..

I know there is a lot of bad blood between PGV and their neighbors. Many of them, the neighbors, are gone. I would have hoped PGV would see the current situation where their neighbors to the east could really use a hand, access to their property, as an opportunity. That PGV would have seen, would see now, the wisdom in extending a hand, in telling the lawyers to just write it up, get it signed and put in limited, temporary, access for those that have not been back to their homes since this all began. I believe that one act would go a long way towards putting the bad blood behind and beginning the process of building better relationships going forward. And, besides, Ormat won the bet. They are holding all the cards, and as far as I can tell if they play them right they are the winners. Why not make peace with the folks that are still around?
Um, not to nitpick but it’s capital f... sorry, couldn’t resist.
Just a question for those that say "I'm alright Jack".

There are several industries everyone relies upon: hospitals, transportation, shops, hotels, restaurants etc. You might well be able to find enough solar power for your own home, but is there enough solar power to handle a whole island and its infrastructure?

Solar power is wonderful when you can get it, but right now it will not support our population, therefore, other renewable energy sources need to be used. What happens here right now is not sustainable - i.e., bringing in oil from wherever.

The Big Island has more renewable energy sources than you can throw a stick at but political leaders only look at the short term and not what we need.

I hope to see a huge change in the next few years in how the island uses energy, but just don't see it happening. We have the expertise here but we don't have the right politicians or voters that care enough.
The sun delivers more energy to Earth in one hour than humanity consumes over the course of a year, making solar the only renewable energy source that can keep up with global demands.

https://www.sandia.gov/~jytsao/Solar%20FAQs.pdf

Enough solar radiation shines on California in one day to power the world for a week.
The road to PGV:

https://tinyurl.com/y9p4p9m3
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

The sun delivers more energy to Earth in one hour than humanity consumes over the course of a year, making solar the only renewable energy source that can keep up with global demands.

https://www.sandia.gov/~jytsao/Solar%20FAQs.pdf

Enough solar radiation shines on California in one day to power the world for a week.

Like most sound bite solutions to complex problems: clear, simple, and WRONG...
If it was economically feasible to capture all that energy and store it to ensure that we had a uninterrupted supply of power that is required by modern society, then we would be doing that. It isn't, and we aren't.