Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CDC says no masks needed for fully vaccinated people
(05-13-2021, 10:28 PM)terracore Wrote: From CDC web site:

"Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."

In other words, nothing has changed, except for Biden's threat issued on Twitter:

"The rule is now simple: get vaccinated or wear a mask until you do. 

The choice is yours."
I don't take it as a "threat".  Some people won't get vaccinated for the safety of themselves and others, so they are like little kids and have to be told what to do.  I don't get it.  We were vaccinated for terrible diseases that killed several of my grandmother's friends when she was a kid.  So what's these people's problem with this vaccine?? And I don't trust the "honor system". Some people will lie about being vaccinated. It's so easy to me.... get vaccinated then you don't have to worry about it!

(05-13-2021, 10:39 PM)kalianna Wrote: I got excited when I read this in the paper this AM, but I'm skeptical about when we can expect this to become "official" here.  When CDC dropped the mask mandate for outside, Hawaii did nothing.  I was willing to wear a mask when it appeared that it might help stop the spread of covid, but I really resent having to wear one when it's only theater.  It's time to drop the 10/25 crowd size limits too.  Enough is enough already.  Vaccines are available.  If you choose not to get one, that's your choice and your risk.
I totally agree with you!!

(05-14-2021, 01:30 PM)MarkP Wrote: I will wear a mask anyways for some time to come.
Me too!  My grandkids and others were sick with a chest cold and were pretty miserable for 2 or 3 weeks.  I didn't catch it because I wore a mask!!  I'm vaccinated for covid but wearing a mask around them protected me from other illnesses.

(05-14-2021, 08:25 PM)1voyager1 Wrote: That's an interpretation of what they've actually said.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...nated.html

My assumption is that it's the media telling people what they want to hear to sell papers, or what ever they do now.

The CDC is still hedging their bet and adding escape clauses for themselves.

Plus, the variants are coming.
Little doubt new vaccines will be required in the not too distant future.

EDIT:
I just got my second vaccination yesterday.
Slept for 18 to 20 hours last night as a result.
Hopefully that's done with now.
Needed more after the first, only about 10 to 12 though.
This one really hammered me.
I'm sorry you got so sick.  But I guess you'll have peace of mind now.  I had the J&J before we knew about the blood clots. I had a fairly easy and fast time with this vaccine.  I have a feeling that we're going to have to have a covid shot every year, like the flu shot.  Huh
I believe the underlying problem is that a previous administration politicized the pandemic so that there was no clear, consistent response.

Instead, we have different states and counties and businesses all doing what they each think best. The lack of consistency means anyone can point to other responses and claim right or wrong when the virus makes no such determination.

The fact that neighbor islands have Oahu norms inflicted upon them is not a new problem.
People will certainly not be honest about whether or not they've been vaccinated. Well, let the anti vaxers take their chances. Eventually they'll probably catch coronavirus from other like minded individuals. I'm looking forward to not wearing a mask in public, with some exceptions. Guidelines for using them in clinics, hospitals, airports may take awhile to fade away, if ever!
Hawaiians especially, should recognize when the bureaucrats and politicians are packing their shorts with snow.

... except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance. ,...

Have they left anyone, other than themselves, out?

People who have a condition or are taking medications that weaken the immune system, ... They may need to keep taking all precautions to prevent COVID-19.

As I've said before, it hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know all that much about it. They're still guessing.

Early data show the vaccines may work against some variants but could be less effective against others.

Again, they're still guessing.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Just read a REALLY interesting article about how the virus can be transmitted. I think I'll be wearing a mask indoors for a while. Maybe even outdoors, depending on the situation.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

I have noticed that I didn't get sick at all last year. Usually I would have had at least 2 colds.
(05-16-2021, 05:48 PM)Chas Wrote: ,,, I have noticed that I didn't get sick at all last year. Usually I would have had at least 2 colds.

Without much of any doubt, the wearing of masks will have had a pronounced effect in reducing ALL respiratory infections including flu, colds and similar.
Don't remember where, but I have seen something confirming/suggesting flu reduction.

@ kalianna

I didn't get sick from the shot.
Just slept a lot the next 2-3 days.
Seem to be back pretty much to normal now.
Tiredness was the first item in the side effects list.
With the second shot having more pronounced effects.
That I can attest to.
It also is a strong indicator that the shot was definitely having an effect on my immune system.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
I don't know if masks are really the culprit in suppressing the spread of disease. After all my box of masks I've been using specifically says on it that it will NOT stop the spread of disease.

When I was younger I worked in food kitchens and EVERYTHING we did had a food safety component to it. We were constantly sanitizing, checking temperatures, nearly half of our job day in and day out was to make sure that people wouldn't get sick.

In retrospect, it seems odd that is nearly the only business outside of healthcare that gives an eff if their customers get sick or not. Even cruise ships responded mostly in a reactionary fashion. If there is a lasting effect from this, hopefully it's that businesses care that they don't make customers sick, they don't make employees work when they are sick, etc.

If every business treated their customer's health similar to the way well-run restaurant kitchens do, we probably could have done away with most of the BS of the last year. But even in the restaurants, the kitchens would be clean... I doubt any of the front house staff were sanitizing the door handles etc.
At Malama Market today, some random guy in the parking lot started yelling at me "mind control, mind control" and then went off on a diatribe about how masks weren't necessary, wearing them after getting vaccinated is pointless, and then he proceeded to get into some tin foil hat stuff that I've thankfully put out of mind. I gave half a second of thought to engaging, as 1) I have gotten my second shot yet, and 2) even if I don't agree with certain laws, I generally follow them because...they're the law.

But then I realized I had literally anything better to do, got in my car, and drove off.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
(05-18-2021, 03:07 AM)terracore Wrote: I don't know if masks are really the culprit in suppressing the spread of disease.  After all my box of masks I've been using specifically says on it that it will NOT stop the spread of disease.

Haven't the faintest as to which masks you've been using.
But, in our litigious society, I don't see anyone saying their masks will prevent diseae.
Especially where its effectiveness is dependent on how the wearer uses it.
My box of N95 masks makes no health claims.
M95 masks statistically let 5% through.
P100 filters let about 2% through.
All are rated to effectively filter sizes smaller than a virus.
They are made to meet OSHA requirements.
But, they do come as close as anything to meeting medical requirements without needing a full sealed facemask with its own air supply.
To meet medical requirements you'd have to look as if you were dressed for a clean room.

I see a very large number of people wearing 3M N95 masks, or visually similar, or undefined cloth masks, or undefined paper masks that are not wearing them properly; Noses uncovered hanging out over the mask, gaps along the cheeks and noses where the breath blows out around the masks; wearing them day after day, after day, and on to save money or to keep them available during supply shortages.

Some have been washing them to get more mileage.
3M admonishes against doing that.
The  N95s and P100s lose effectiveness when washed.
I've seen advice from those that are supposedly in the know giving general advice to wash them.

I'll be the first to admit that any mask is better than no mask.
But, cheap cloth masks, bandanas, neck gaiters, etc. are little better than nothing.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Although reuse is not recommended, CDC has said that for emergency use, letting the mask sit for five days will work in a pinch. I also read early on that you can decontaminate the n95's by putting them in an oven at low temp. I don't remember the details because after one hot spring 2020 day in Hilo I switched to cloth masks.
Certainty will be the death of us.