Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beach access getting pricey for tourists
They're now charging $25.00 per person plus a parking fee for tourists to access Hanauma Bay on Oahu. It's still free for locals. I'd like to see this happen at Hapuna Beach also. There is just way too may tourists on Hapuna beach daily. And they have had to close entry every so often because of lack of space. Maybe $25.00 per person for tourists will open it up alittle to allow locals access when they want to visit.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/06/30...cmSVJ7vZ7k
The tourists don't seem to have any shortage of money, this doesn't seem like an attempt to restrict access so much as it does a money grab.

The real solution is simple, locals can come and go but anybody without local ID needs to schedule a visit just like locals have to do to get licenses renewed. It will be the ultimate way for tourists to experience Kama'aina living on the islands! They can use a clunky web interface that only shows "appointments" available 4 months after their vacation has expired. It will be just like living here.
It will be just like living here.

I like the way you think terracore.  I would only add that perhaps the County could transfer workers with the worst job performance reviews and most complaints against them to the new positions at the beach entry points.  Residents with a current Hawaii drivers license are waved through, visitors are asked to submit various forms of I.D. including  some not listed as required on the website, plus other nuisance requests by the gatekeeper depending on what kind of a day they’re having.

It would be a twofer.  Visitors experience the island lifestyle as you noted, and residents get to enjoy a little less County abuse.
There is just way too may tourists on Hapuna beach daily. And they have had to close entry every so often because of lack of space.
-----------
It is a lack of parking, not too many people on the beach, itself.
doesn't seem like an attempt to restrict access so much as it does a money grab.

That "money grab" is our whole economy. I think $25 is a good start, but it should be more like $100 to park, $250 parking ticket for not paying the $100. Sell the parking passes from a kiosk next to the rental car counter.
(07-01-2021, 06:44 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: It will be just like living here.

I like the way you think terracore.  I would only add that perhaps the County could transfer workers with the worst job performance reviews and most complaints against them to the new positions at the beach entry points.  Residents with a current Hawaii drivers license are waved through, visitors are asked to submit various forms of I.D. including  some not listed as required on the website, plus other nuisance requests by the gatekeeper depending on what kind of a day they’re having.

It would be a twofer.  Visitors experience the island lifestyle as you noted, and residents get to enjoy a little less County abuse.

This is all great stuff but I think we can go even further.  Just like when the county forbade us from getting anywhere close enough to see the various lava flows, the tourists could pay to get into the beach only to discover that access to the water is behind a National Guard checkpoint and only people who own property in the water are allowed to look at or approach it. It is really in their best interest because the water contains sharks and deadly currents, so it's for their own good.
the water contains sharks and deadly currents, so it's for their own good.

Good point.
In addition to an entrance fee, shark insurance and deadly current insurance could be made available.  Separately.
It would be a money maker especially if sold before the tourists realized that can’t get in the water.
Don’t forget rescue charges!
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
In general I am against charging fees for parks and other "public" recreation areas. Is that not what the tax dollars we already pay, are to pay for? Tourists already pay large taxes with the transient accommodation tax. Again, that tax is to pay for what, exactly? Tourists also pay GET on everything they buy.

I am also against state or county from creating new fees at parks that rely upon hiring more state or county employees, simply to collect the fees.

Simplest method would be a $10 per passenger fee on every incoming mainland or foreign flight, collected and remitted directly by the airlines, with 100% of the money collected going only for state and county park and beach maintenance costs.

Total Passenger Counts

At an average of 30,000 total passengers per day, this would bring in $9 million a month.
$10 per passenger fee on every incoming mainland or foreign flight

Which means Big Island residents who would be exempted from paying for the proposed fee, would then pay for visiting Hanauma Bay on Oahu.  Whether they go there or not.