Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Something strange is going on in Maui
You remind me of when some folks on Punaweb were calling the incoming roundabout a "circle of death". It was going to be a disaster. Stand back and watch the incompetents in the DOT create a mechanism to kill us all off.

Well, that intersection went from the most deadly in the state to the safest in the state.

I think your portrayal of public health officials as treating everyone like cattle is insane. I think that it takes a lot of imagination to decide our public officials are wishing to destroy the restaurant and tourist industry. I'll give you an A for imagination. But it stops there.
I guess you've never heard of hyperbole before? Wink

Beyond my hyperbole how am I factually wrong here?
You remind me of when some folks on Punaweb were calling the incoming roundabout a "circle of death". It was going to be a disaster. Stand back and watch the incompetents in the DOT create a mechanism to kill us all off.

Well, that intersection went from the most deadly in the state to the safest in the state.

I think your portrayal of public health officials as treating everyone like cattle is insane. I think that it takes a lot of imagination to decide our public officials are wishing to destroy the restaurant and tourist industry. I'll give you an A for imagination. But it stops there.

Some people need to find a reason to get up angry in the morning.
PunaGrace: "Maui desperately wants to shed both a good % of tourists and a good % of current "residents". This because Maui is genuinely focused on shifting to a higher value, lower impact brand of tourism and a more remote work, less drum circle brand of malahini."

To Malihini: I suspect that you vastly underestimate how many residents agree with the above sentiment. You have stated that you moved to Puna less than a year ago, yet call Maui's mayor 'evil' because his longer perspective leads him to an opinion and vision for his island that differs from yours. He saw first hand what too many tourists can do to damage a place. Just as you were free to move here, people are free to move away. I hear Florida and Texas have lots of job openings.
I am just looking at the statistics and stating facts while inserting a bit of hyperbole.

If you can explain to me how I am misreading them feel free.

Is it not true he's banning most of the population from eating out and going to gyms?

Does the article not seem to imply a third dose is required if it's been longer than 6 months?

Again do you expect businesses to just explain to tourists it's been too long since their last dose?

I like how the default tactic here might as well be thinly veiled ad hominem.
This is not exactly new. Maui had been requiring proof of vaccination for these activities since September.
So, how has it been going for them over the past few months? I haven’t heard how businesses are coping.
The roundabout analogy is apples and oranges. People figured out after a month or two that the roundabout was good. were nearly two years on and back to square one.
The saying goes never attribute malice for stupidity. Im not so sure in this case. This seems to be being done with malice in mind.
I have no problem at all with requiring tourists to get a booster shot after six months.  My friends visiting from Sweden have no problem with it at all.

When I was returning from the mainland last year I had to get a coivd test.  No big deal.  Went to a CVS, got a test for free and had the results in 12 hours.

Meanwhile I have had no difficulty going to any restaurant I want to when I want to.

The inconvenience is minimal considering the scale and scope of illness and death from this virus.
(01-03-2022, 12:43 AM)Durian Fiend Wrote: This is not exactly new. Maui had been requiring proof of vaccination for these activities since September.
So, how has it been going for them over the past few months? I haven’t heard how businesses are coping.

Very few people in the US period are getting boosters. This will severely reduce their revenue and they will be sending away a lot more customers. They are already having trouble with the current requirements with the comments I have seen on the CB and other places. This will be murder on them at this point.

I like how you can just shrug that off when you aren't the one who has to enforce it. Especially when there's no evidence a booster is going to slow down the spread of Omicron or is even necessary to prevent hospitalization.

I still maintain the people who push these policies are evil whether they realize it or not.

If you truly believed in what you are doing, then why don't you just send the cops out to round up everyone who won't boost? At least then the proper people would be enforcing the rules, not some random business owners.

Either way I just burned my vax card.
Sorry I was gaining my info from the Maui County website. I don't read civil beat.

Been to any resorts lately ?

The rules on Maui don't apply to outdoor dining.