Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately?
Which should IMHO, COMPLETELY by coincidence, reduce tourism and accelerate the influx of remote worker types.
Keep it local  Heart
" 50 years ago when there was a semblance of self sufficiency on the islands it could weather a storm pretty well, alas no more."

I lived on Oahu 50 years ago. At the mere mention of a dock workers strike the store shelves would be bare. Toilet paper first.

Once, a rumor started going around that there was a toilet paper shortage in Japan and Japanese tourists were seen filling their suitcases with TP.
Poof the stores were empty on a baseless rumor.
Primary difference is that 50 years ago Obie, they had cattle, sugar and other crops being grown in quantities that would have sustained the population. This is not the case anymore. Foraging for coconuts like many a starry eyed Hawaii bound residents soon find out wont cut the mustard.
(01-26-2022, 10:22 PM)kander Wrote: Primary difference is that 50 years ago.. they had cattle, sugar and other crops being grown in quantities that would have sustained the population. This is not the case anymore..

Really? No more? I mean, sure, I guess there ain't much of a herd in Puna but that don't mean the island, the state, doesn't have enough protein to feed us for a very long time..

Parker Ranch has more than 10,000 breading mother cows.. and over 130,00 managed acres of active pasture.. and that's just Parker..

The wild parts of Mauna Kea is covered in sheep, goats cover large tracks of land on many sides of the island, and pigs are everywhere.

And, to be honest, it hasn't happened near as fast as one would have hoped when sugar first collapsed in the '90s, but man diversified ag is making strides.. just what is happening right now on Maui is wonderful..

And then, of course, we could all eat more fish if need be.

But, please, help me out here.. in your scenario, quoted above, how'd all that sugar you hold up as having some redeeming value help anyone?
Sugar is carbohydrates. it could stop gap the lack of grains that dont grow well. 10K of cattle would feed the island for maybe 2 months. Thats if they killed every single one and divided it per person. Pigs? sheep? give it a couple of weeks and that would be decimated. now, fish could be a stop gap and not long term as it is also a limited resource as anyone who has spent the entire day fishing knows that sometimes you get nothing. What makes people think someone fishing is going to share his fish with you? and if 250,000 other souls on the island decide to go fishing my goodness what a mess.

Realistically those who are smart will manage to survive no matter what the situation is. Then there are those who will take what they need to survive from others.
Kinda back on topic. Many waves to come, Shots already showing to adversely effect the innocent unborn and mommys x 300% in studys.The ADE tsunami will come. Please folks, read more outside your bubble. Stop repeatedly taking the ineffective poison and breathe, your gonna be ok.
When you make that kind of claim, you might want to back it up with a source.
Sourced from a source you can find sweetie.

People get uptight if non- Puna links. Even though our populus experience same same.

also eta, your right.
(01-27-2022, 04:46 AM)kalianna Wrote: When you make that kind of claim, you might want to back it up with a source.

I assume this is a rhetorical question. We all know you won't get a cite or an answer that makes sense.
"But, please, help me out here.. in your scenario, quoted above, how'd all that sugar you hold up as having some redeeming value help anyone?"

I hate to say this but I agree with you for once.
50 years ago on Oahu there was sugar and pineapples.
The meat in the stores mostly came from Australia.
Milk was mostly reconstituted powdered milk.