Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Green says masks will be last to go
(02-21-2022, 11:58 PM)punikahakaiferret Wrote: "Vaunted" is the correct word...just sayin'.  Smile

:::going back into lurker mode:::

I think "Stealth" mode is more appropriate for you. Cool
(02-21-2022, 12:04 AM)Obie Wrote: "Sometimes all this Covid mask theorizing reminds me of early in the eruption when there was debate about which masks would protect you."

Back then I finally gave up arguing with people. The real good respirators come in different sizes and shapes. OSHA requires yearly training and a fit test. I was required to shave my beard every year for the fit test and required to keep shaving equipment in my locker in case I needed to wear a respirator at work. The training was so you could select the proper cartridge for the hazard you were facing.

Agreed Obie,

Plenty dudes were seen wearing a respirator strapped around their beards.  I wonder how their lungs fared through the process.  Similar to the lack of a seal on all those disposable covid masks. The placebo effect is a powerful force.

I have some of my 3M cartridges from May 2018 ziplocked for posterity.  Maybe one day I'll have them cracked open and tested...
(02-22-2022, 06:35 AM)Obie Wrote: My point about exhalation valves and the filters is unless you have the correct training you shouldn't be using them..

Yep, gotta have the proper training. And OMG, Obie, seeings how you've gone on about it over the years that must be some special training, for sure. 

Whereas, I've had to wear the damn things, in professional settings overseen by OSHA, on and off for over 40 years, and at times directly overseen by federal government supervisors who never, I say never, went on as you do. And yet, I tend to think the thing, the mask, is a pretty simple machine, with what, 3 moving parts? that most, with a minimal education, can figure out. Unless, of course, they're being browbeaten by a condescending company man who thinks he knows better..

Like I have mentioned earlier.. PPEs are an ongoing part of my life, from using them to protect myself from exposure to volcanic gases while working at active volcanic vents to agricultural and construction activities there as all sorts of setting where if one didn't know how to properly use one you're screwed. There is no way anyone can withstand direct exposure to SO2 in the quantities found at the vent, or the sulfuric acid found in the ocean entry plume, without serious, properly used protection. And yet Obie wants to suggest we all can not figure out how to use them without "the correct training." Oy vey!

I should add.. for those not familiar with using a 3M face mask there are several sources of info besides Obie's trainer. One, of course, is YouTube! For instance 3M themselves has a channel. Imagine that, no more certification, no more annual recertification. Just watch this vid.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBg2B2BP9nA

To My 2 cents.. I haven’t run into any mask police, yet, so I have no idea. Though, in my anticipation of the eventuality, I added a bit of the cloth I use to my go bag in the event showing to someone might help them understand. I also keep a few disposable N95s in there as well. Gloves in case the fancy takes me.. I’ve always been one to ask what if? and plan accordingly.
My Manao, no need to defend yourself. Some people just feel like they have to be "right" all the time. We've got a couple of them on Punaweb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPe1yoqvE3k

I have never wanted to vote against someone so bad in my entire life. Voting against Green will feel just as good though.
Why should he? People love their masks. And love is love why should he or anyone interfere with that?
Masks are going away, probably sooner rather than later.
Whether you grumble about it a little, a lot, or not at all.
In Hawaii, definitely later rather than sooner!

I haven't seen what Kalakoa alluded to earlier in this thread, namely that numerous people have been ignoring the mask mandate.  On the contrary, I've seen nobody inside a large store flouting it.

However, in light of recent developments (CDC announcement) it wouldn't be surprising if this does begin to crop up.
(02-26-2022, 12:34 AM)Durian Fiend Wrote: In Hawaii, definitely later rather than sooner!

I get the feeling that some, many, lose sight of the fact that while we've held out for masks longer than the rest, our mortality rate, if it could be used when considering the effectiveness of masks, has been extremely low.
"The CDC has developed new equations for evaluating risk and will now use a three-tiered, color-coded system.

and poof !!!! No need to wear indoors either. LOL.

Come on folks .. " trust the science"

Ill put that on my sign Rob.

peace to all