Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Opihi Picking
(08-04-2023, 12:18 AM)AaronM Wrote: Blah blah blah.  Your original post says it all.  "Something sure smells fishy".

2 deaths in 2 weeks isn't "fishy", it's tragic. 

Put your tinfoil hat away and stop being such a bimbo!

So, has anybody considered that there could be foul play here? Extenuating circumstances? Where these 2 Opihi pickers operating on their own free will? Working for someone or picking the Opihi for themselves? Maybe even forced into doing it?

Other than the initial reports of one missing the other found deceased, there have been zero subsequent reports.

If there was an employee death at Walmart, Burger King, Tractor Supply, or even at one of the telescopes on top of the Mauna, there would be a hundred cops and feds all over the place and most likely the store/operations of wherever shut down during an investigation. And OSHA would be writing up tickets and issuing fines.

But no. Having a civil discussion is just clearly impossible especially with a person whose reasoning skills are to call a woman “Honey,” “Sugar” and “Sweetie.”

Then, as it becomes further impossible for you to advance into any other discussion of the topic, you resort to calling me a “Troll.”

Then, with your increasing inability to be able to articulate any form of a cohesive thought, you utter the highly intelligent word “BULLSHIT” and question the longevity of my residence.

Then, with your increasing inability to discuss the topic, it becomes “Blah blah blah.”

And then, right on cue, since you can’t muster any other clear thought to discuss the issue, you resort to the “Tin Foil Hat” approach to show your intellectual prowess.

And finally, you just got to through in one more misogynist barb and call me “Bimbo!”

So yes, this whole Opihi matter is “fishy”

And yes it’s tragic.

Maybe it’s time the Opihi picking matter become more regulated? What can be done?

Or is the local Hawaiian society okie dokie with several humans dying every year?

One sure would not know here. No one wants to discuss the topic with anything other than a 15 year old high school dropout mentality coupled with the viewpoint that ends at the tip of your nose.

And to be clear, I feel for the victims’ families, friends and loved ones.
Maybe it’s time the Opihi picking matter become more regulated? 

Good luck with that.
Opihi pickers & maile pickers operate in a cash only economy.  They work for themselves, often because they’re unemployable elsewhere.  They don’t like schedules, they work when they want to, or have to.  I’ve met many of them over the years shipping at air cargo.  If any part of their endeavor is regulated, they’ll figure out a way around it.
"If any part of their endeavor is regulated, they’ll figure out a way around it."

Probably right HOTPE!

I guess one has to look at this with the mindset of "How can I help someone who refuses to help themselves?"
Call the whambulance, ratchet narcissist projecting and claiming victim status. Can't cope. Now wants discussion after talking down to strangers BC because they have a different opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You go first H.Julie, tell them,,,, no wait, Mandate AND Regulate .. Must wear PFD and Helmet. Don't stop there .. All paddlers too.

I keep hearing this song. 35 years ago so timing seems about right before the move.

https://m.youtube.com/watch/FdizL4on-Rc

eta: She said, she liked, the ocean ..
To further clarify my point, differences of opinion are fine. Let's discuss those.

Being called "Honey", "Sugar", "Sweetie" and "Bimbo", along with BULLSHIT and "Tin Foil Hat" as well as disputing my length of residency ARE NOT offering a difference of opinion, they are just those of an immature troll who is incapable of offering a difference of opinion.
'And to be clear, I feel for the victims’ families, friends and loved ones.'

See HiloJulies' initial post where she makes a few wisecracks to cheer up the victims' families, friends and loved ones. 

I live just a few miles from where these two incidents happened.  It was very sobering to hear and see the coast guard helicopter for days searching along the coastline.

The following things might reduce the risk of injury or death for the opihi pickers:

Don't work alone.  Have someone on lookout for rogue waves.  The lookout person can also call  for help if a picker gets swept away or stranded on the cliffs.
Wahine

Lead by example
Anyone else seeing a trend here?  The same person(s) across various threads filling up the space with constant requotes bickering with one person then picking up new people to bicker with in a relentless back-and-forth.  OMG let it go already.  Or get a room.  Or maybe exchange emails and bicker privately.  I'm betting nobody is entertained by this except those involved in the hissy-fit arguments that keep spilling over into EVERY thread.
Don't work alone.  Have someone on lookout for rogue waves. 

Excellent advice.  Unfortunately most opihi pickers I’ve met choose to work alone, or if they can find someone to go with them, it’s usually another picker who goes off in the opposite direction to pick once they’ve reached ocean level. Rarely have I seen someone picking who has a friend or relative to watch from the cliffs for free, and although they make good money for one person, it’s probably not enough to split two ways.  Opihi pickers are, how shall I say?  In general, an independent type of person.

I’ve watched the coast guard helicopters from the cliffs looking for a missing picker, talked to fire department and police personnel, and family members watching and waiting.  It’s usually a big turnout searching for one person who likes to work alone.
(08-04-2023, 07:36 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Don't work alone.  Have someone on lookout for rogue waves. 

Excellent advice.  Unfortunately most opihi pickers I’ve met choose to work alone, or if they can find someone to go with them, it’s usually another picker who goes off in the opposite direction to pick once they’ve reached ocean level. Rarely have I seen someone picking who has a friend or relative to watch from the cliffs for free, and although they make good money for one person, it’s probably not enough to split two ways.  Opihi pickers are, how shall I say?  In general, an independent type of person.

I’ve watched the coast guard helicopters from the cliffs looking for a missing picker, talked to fire department and police personnel, and family members watching and waiting.  It’s usually a big turnout searching for one person who likes to work alone.

I figured that might be the case.
Wahine

Lead by example
(08-04-2023, 04:50 PM)Or1on Wrote: Anyone else seeing a trend here?  The same person(s) across various threads filling up the space with constant requotes bickering with one person then picking up new people to bicker with in a relentless back-and-forth.  OMG let it go already.  Or get a room.  Or maybe exchange emails and bicker privately.  I'm betting nobody is entertained by this except those involved in the hissy-fit arguments that keep spilling over into EVERY thread.
Yeah. That's what Punaweb is now...