Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hawaiian’s First 787!
(02-28-2024, 01:25 AM)terracore Wrote: Thanks for the reply.  When we watched this thing play out on the tarmac I had no idea what we were seeing might have rarely been done before.  The aircraft that got jump-started had been there for several days which leads me to believe everything else they tried hadn't worked, or at least it took that long to get enough parts (and the tube?) delivered.

Just curious, but how did you know it was there for several days? That supports the engine being changed and all the smoke when that new engine was started.
(03-02-2024, 09:23 AM)TomK Wrote: Just curious, but how did you know it was there for several days? That supports the engine being changed and all the smoke when that new engine was started.

It was a small town. Everybody knew.
(03-03-2024, 09:07 PM)terracore Wrote: It was a small town.  Everybody knew.

I found the picture of either the plane that you were on that was being "jump started" or the plane that gave yours the jump!

(Just having some fun!)

(02-27-2024, 07:50 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Still works for fleet consolidation which is their aim, but damn sure wish Boeing would get its poop together. I think once as perfected as it’s original predecessor, the 737 MAX family are the best jets around for their designed purpose.

Not sure if you have seen this, but it's an entertaining opinion about Boeing's recent issues. (Note: adult language included).

https://youtu.be/Q8oCilY4szc?si=JpTv9ZuaLQeQ9rCW
Thanks for sharing that, Tom! I saw the clip on my YouTube feed the other day and forgot about it until I saw your post and remembered to watch it!

Oliver hit the nail on the head with Boeing that's for sure!

Its ashamed what has/is happened to Boeing.

And while Oliver shows the reality of the disaster the Boeing/McDonnel Douglas merger very well, the one thing that happened with Boeing still perplexes me to this day.

Back when Boeing was great, a young engineer named Alan Mulally joined them. As we worked thru the ranks at Boeing, he quickly became quite instrumental in various new concepts and designs on the planes, including being the primary engineer that came up with the shared cockpit design of the 757/767 that allowed pilots to be certified on either plane - one narrow body the other a wide body.

He went on to lead the development of the 777, first as the Director of Engineering and later becoming the VP of the entire 777 program.

After the successful 777 rollout and deployment, Mulally continued up the ladder to become the President and CEO of Boeings entire Commercial Airplane division.

At this time the crap started with Boeing CEO Condit and then Stonecipher - and Mulally was considered by most to be the shoe-in new CEO, but they passed him over for an outsider. 

Alan Mulally then cut the deal where Boeing sold off what became Spirit AreoSystems. 

After that transaction, Mulally left Boeing to become the CEO of Ford and is largely credited for saving Ford from certain bankruptcy, was able to keep Ford running without government bailouts and his successful management decisions while at Ford are still felt to this day.

Why Mulally sold Spirt off to me is WTF was he thinking? 

And now, Boeing is in talks to buy Spirt back and there are some calling for Mulally to come back as CEO.

Imagine if Boeing took 20% of what it has or will spend on stock buybacks, negligent death claims for the two 737MAX crashes, the cost of the 787 delays and groundings, the cost of moving its headquarters from Seattle to Chicago to Washington DC, the costs of the Alaska door plug blowout, along with all the other crap and then add in the incentive compensation programs paid to its senior executives and worked that into employee collective bargaining wages and benefits and quality control.

Where would Boeing be today if it had done that for the last 30 years?
(03-09-2024, 08:49 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Thanks for sharing that, Tom! I saw the clip on my YouTube feed the other day and forgot about it until I saw your post and remembered to watch it!

I wanted to post the link to the video a few days ago but it disappeared from YT a day or so after it was posted. I suspected at the time some legal wrangling was going on. You could find versions of it elsewhere but a VPN was necessary and I didn't want to bother people with that. Fortunately, it reappeared.

PS. Your post confused me at first until I realized the subtle spelling difference. Alan Mullaly was a left-arm pace bowler who played cricket for England in the 90s. I was curious how he got to become CEO of Boeing!
I’m at the point of suggesting that maybe a left armed pace bowler cricket player from England would be better for Boeing that what is currently in place!

At any event, Hawaiian is running its new big boy pants 787 thru various training/maintenance/shake down before going into actual service in April and here she is making her grand debut at LAX last night!

Would love to be able to be on one of these “testing” flights!

https://youtu.be/zIU1t8uAOeQ?si=Qc75GQTpbZJeQdIJ
I think the A350 is just as good-looking. I hope to fly it one day.
I only came across this today despite it being published a couple of weeks ago, but it's a walkaround of HA's new 787s' interior. The guy seems a bit clueless at times but you get a good idea of what it will be like.

https://youtu.be/wx-ubOXtz1k?si=yMEQV2EnyOpb8UKK
Surprised that they went with screens in the economy class seats. No one else is still doing that.